kite sizes

  • Dwight & Jacky
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2001
      http://www.egroups.com/files/kitesurf/kite+sizes.jpg

      I converted the kite size chart to a jpg file.

      If this chart is correct, I can use my knowledge of Naish kites to select
      the right Wipi's to buy to fill out my quiver.

      Dwight
    • tighe@windancing.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 6, 2001
        There's been considerable talk about the new gear though when I looked
        at the sizes of the new kites, at least the Airblasts, the sizing is
        the same...6.3, 8.4, 10 (new), 11.8, 16.4m as 2001. I thought the
        manufacturers were going to go to a more universal system of sizing
        this year? It has been a nightmare advising new kiters on kite sizes
        because of the formula that's involved to go from one brand to another.

        Maybe the manufacturers realized that the confusion forced people into
        brand loyalty which from a marketing standpoint makes sense.

        Or they just realized that size is only one part of the power equation,
        which also would make sense. There should be some way to compare kites
        though...I know there is the master chart in Files (thanks by the way
        for that), though for the average consumer there needs to be a better
        way.

        tighe
      • Tim
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 6, 2001
          I understand that Wipika is going to print the flat area size and the
          projected area size on their kites and bags for 2002. For listing and
          ordering they are still using the projected area size like 2001.