Re: Opinion on Gear

  • bnow@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2000
      If you decide to not go for any lessons then get Ken Winner's
      video "How To Rip". It is well worth the money and pain you may
      cause yourself from not knowing the information and techniques. As
      for the equipment, the AR5 9.5 is a nice kite, but has some
      characteristics you may need to be aware of. This holds true for the
      larger AR5's as well. If you try to learn in winds less than 11
      knots, or if the wind is on the light side and gusty (not
      consistent), you will need to watch that the AR5 does not overfly you
      and crash. This means you will have to keep the kite moving, it
      won't want to just park overhead in those conditions. This can be a
      bit much when you're trying to deal with learning, surf, and getting
      the board on. If you get wind above 11 knots and it's consistent it
      will park ok. The 9.5 AR5 pulls hard, but if you have a choice in
      kite size, considering your weight and the wind range you mentioned,
      I would go for a 13.5. Starting out with four lines is not an issue;
      in fact it will be better because you can depower the kite. The
      depowering on an AR5 works well. As far as the board is concerned, I
      personally wouldn't go with a directional. I think you will find in
      no time at all you will want a twin tip kiteboard.

      Mark