Re: [ksurf] Re: Almost ripped my arms off!

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 31, 2000
      also 1 more thing you may be doin
      you may be thinkin your kite needs to be pointing up when launching
      or flying
      your kite needs to be pointin into the wind ( leading edge into the wind )
      so you can keep it steered at the edge of the wind window
      even in heavy winds your kite if flown leading edge into the wind at the
      edge of the window will just hover there a few feet off the ground with
      small inputs to the control bar
      use small inputs when it is hovering close to the ground or you will fly
      into the power zone and drag
      later
      Dan

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2001
        27 mph might be a little much for learning but later it can be very fun on
        the right equipment.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2001
          I couldn't agree more. I had my best jump ever using a 15.5 in a 28 - 30 mph
          gust.

          << 27 mph might be a little much for learning but later it can be very fun on
          the right equipment.
          Z >>
        • KiteBoard@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2001
            john@... writes:

            << maybe we were launching to far
            upwind. >>

            More likely too far DOWNwind. The closer to straight downwind (directly in
            front of you when your back is to the wind) the more power the kite will have.

            << Does the window angle decrease when there is stronger wind?
            ie: the edge of the window changes from 85 degrees to something like
            70 degrees.??? >>

            You've got it exactly reversed. The window angle generally INcreases with
            stronger wind, so in stronger wind you need to launch from further upwind,
            since that's where the edge of the window is now.

            Mel
          • m.diffey@breathemail.net
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 1, 2001
              --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, KiteBoard@a... wrote:
              > In a message dated 1/1/01 5:35:11 AM Pacific Standard Time,
              > john@j... writes:
              >
              > << maybe we were launching to far
              > upwind. >>
              >
              > More likely too far DOWNwind. The closer to straight downwind
              (directly in
              > front of you when your back is to the wind) the more power the kite
              will have.

              > << Does the window angle decrease when there is stronger wind?
              > ie: the edge of the window changes from 85 degrees to something
              like
              > 70 degrees.??? >>
              >
              > You've got it exactly reversed. The window angle generally
              INcreases with
              > stronger wind, so in stronger wind you need to launch from further
              upwind,
              > since that's where the edge of the window is now.
              >
              > Mel

              WHAT MY FRIEND IS TRYING TO SAY IS THAT WHEN WE FLEW THE KITE THE
              WIND SPEED WAS AROUND 27MPH.TRYING TO FLY THE KITE FROM THE EDGE OF
              THE WIND WINDOW WAS NOT POSSIBLE AS THE LINES WERE GOING WITH THE
              WIND,SO AS YOU LET GO OF THE KITE IT BOUNCED AROUND THE FLOOR MAKING
              ITS WAY TO THE POWER ZONE. MAYBE THE WIND WAS TO STRONG AS WE COULD
              NOT KEEP THE LINES TIGHT.
            • bnow@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 1, 2001
                AHHH! Thank You

                This explanation clears up the confusion. You may have indeed
                launched to close to the edge of the wind window. The small kite
                probably did not fill enough to pull the lines tight in that amount
                of wind. It may have just luffed back into the power zone.

                Mark

              • bnow@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 1, 2001
                  What was probably happening is that the drag from the kite lines
                  was changing the angle of the kite so much, it was like trying to
                  launch past the window's edge causing the kite to luff. If you had
                  an adjustment strap on your bar, you could have possibly shortened
                  the rear lines, or lengthen the front lines to compensate for the
                  drag on the flying lines, causing the angle of the kite to change.

                  Mark

                • m.diffey@breathemail.net
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 2, 2001
                    -I FLY THE KITE ON 2 LINES ONLY,BOTH THE BREAK LINES R TYED OFF 2 THE
                    MAIN LINES.
                    MARK WHAT KITE DO U FLY?
                    AND WHAT STYLE OF BOARD DO U RIDE?
                    WHAT DO U THINK OF THE PETER LYNN ARC?
                    CHEERS MATT.

                  • bnow@earthlink.net
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 2, 2001
                      Hey Matt

                      I apologize for the brain fart on my part, for assuming you were
                      using a four-line setup on your kite.

                      I fly the Peter Lynn ARC kites, use a killer Monkey AIR twin tip
                      kiteboard, and of course I think the Peter Lynn ARC is one of the
                      best kite designs going in kiteboarding today. Check the archives
                      here under "ARC" and you can read what myself and others have said
                      about our experience with flying the ARC. Also you can check out
                      these web sites: www.monkeyair.com, and the Peter Lynn site
                      www.peterlynnkites.co.nz/.

                      Take care.

                      Mark

                      --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, m.diffey@b... wrote:
                      > -I FLY THE KITE ON 2 LINES ONLY,BOTH THE BREAK LINES R TYED OFF 2
                      THE
                      > MAIN LINES.
                      > MARK WHAT KITE DO U FLY?
                      > AND WHAT STYLE OF BOARD DO U RIDE?
                      > WHAT DO U THINK OF THE PETER LYNN ARC?
                      > CHEERS MATT.
                      >

                      > -- In kitesurf@egroups.com, bnow@e... wrote:
                      > > What was probably happening is that the drag from the kite
                      lines
                      > > was changing the angle of the kite so much, it was like trying to
                      > > launch past the window's edge causing the kite to luff. If you
                      had
                      > > an adjustment strap on your bar, you could have possibly
                      shortened
                      > > the rear lines, or lengthen the front lines to compensate for the
                      > > drag on the flying lines, causing the angle of the kite to change.
                      > >
                      > > Mark
                      > >
                      > > --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, bnow@e... wrote:
                      > > > AHHH! Thank You
                      > > >
                      > > > This explanation clears up the confusion. You may have
                      indeed
                      > > > launched to close to the edge of the wind window. The small
                      kite
                      > > > probably did not fill enough to pull the lines tight in that
                      > amount
                      > > > of wind. It may have just luffed back into the power zone.
                      > > >
                      > > > Mark
                      > > >

                      > > > WHAT MY FRIEND IS TRYING TO SAY IS THAT WHEN WE FLEW THE KITE
                      THE
                      > EDGE
                      > > OF
                      > THE
                      > > > MAKING
                      > > COULD
                    • Stefano
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 23, 2001
                        > I agree-for your own savety and for other people:
                        > take more lessons !
                        > With Kitesurfing it is very useful to take lessons!

                        today in a portuguese language forum we had a newbee ask how to launch he
                        kite while in the water with his feet in the straps on his 7 foot
                        directional.... he wants to launch the kite that way so that he can launch
                        it and take off immediately likes hes seen "in the videos"

                        not only is he asking , he has tried this on 5 different days... and says he
                        actually got onto the board on one try !

                        DEFINITELY this guy needs lessons