Wipika You Stink!

  • Dwight & Jacky
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 31, 2000
      Not really, but trying to get someone's attention.

      It's time for Wipika to speak up and give us the scoop on sizing. We know
      they're out there, because they've joined our chat before. It's a real
      disgrace to see their customer getting screwed by buying the wrong kite
      size. Look at what happened to Alex, stuck with 2 kites the same size! I'm
      sure they know exactly how Naish sized his kites last year. They certainly
      know how they sized kites last year. Now it's time for some conversion help.

      Dwight
    • nicolas@theopold.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 31, 2000
        How did you get this information?
        It would be commendable from Wipika to make it clear themselves -
        leaving your customers guessing will not help business, and they
        shouldn't have to rely on the investigative qualities of a shop owner
        to make sure that people don't get stuck with the wrong product.

        --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, "Carl" <carl@t...> wrote:
        > All wipika 2001 kites are now sold in Projected area not total sail
        area
        > like Naish.
        > It is about time some done this as it was a bit of a con.
        > I can's quite see what you are all mooning about it is easy to work
        out what
        > you are buying
        > you take the new size of the wipika I.E. 8.4m x it by 1.36 =11.4
        that gives
        > you the total sail area what is the problem. + if you shop you buy
        from is
        > any good than you should not have 3 kites the same size
        >
        > Carl

        unsubscribe@egroups.com >>>
      • Carl

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 31, 2000
            I know this info because I am a shop owner
            I do agree that Wipika do not make it very clear but like I said that is
            what a shop is there for to help out the customer.

            Carl

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 31, 2000
              > I can's quite see what you are all mooning about it is easy to work out
              what
              > you are buying
              > you take the new size of the wipika I.E. 8.4m x it by 1.36 =11.4 that
              gives
              > you the total sail area what is the problem. + if you shop you buy from is
              > any good than you should not have 3 kites the same size
              >
              > Carl

              See Jeff's post. It doesn't work! 5.4 x 1.36 = 7.3. The 5.4 projected Naish
              is not the 7.3 labeled Naish. They say Naish and Wipika have agreed to
              measure kites in the same way for 2001. Now let's have conversion methods
              from the old way for both brands. Wipika is the first to get their 2001
              kites to market. They should lead the way in decoding this mess.

              Dwight
            • rmaise@tampabay.rr.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 31, 2000
                I think a main problem is that most of us, including myself, are
                buying our equipment mail order.At such an expensive price we are
                taking a huge risk. We can't physically see what we are buying.
                Hopefully soon when the sport is more mainstream, there will be more
                outlets to demo kites and boards before we buy them. I wont even buy
                a wake or a snowboard or even a pair of shoes without at least trying
                it on first. I guess its the price you pay for being in the sport at
                this point. Its going to get better.

              • Carl
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 31, 2000
                  Please tell me were you are getting the 5.4 from it is not a Wipika size . I
                  think you are talking about the Naish kite , But Naish do not calculate the
                  sizes the same way I think you x the Naish by 1.73 please tell me if I am
                  wrong.

                  Carl

                • dave@machelp.com.au
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 31, 2000
                    I disagree, the manufacturer is responsible for full disclosure on the
                    details of its kites for the information of consumers. In some
                    countries lack of disclosure of this information to consumers from the
                    manufacturer would be an offense.

                    Maintain the buzz Dave (Dr Surf, a store owner who would like info from
                    the manufacturers too! 61 2 4443 7665)

                  • ronniep@gate.net
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 31, 2000
                      --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, "Carl" <carl@t...> wrote:
                      > I know this info because I am a shop owner
                      > I do agree that Wipika do not make it very clear but like I said
                      that is
                      > what a shop is there for to help out the customer.
                      >
                      > Carl

                      unsubscribe@egroups.com >>>mr tekno ya
                    • Jeff Quick
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 31, 2000
                        Ya, but the 11.8 kite isn't really 11.8 PROJECTED in my opinion.

                        The Naish system had total area with the projected area in
                        parenthesis...this projected area was about right on, as you could
                        compare it to a foil of similar size, and keep all kites on the same
                        level pretty much. With this new system, you cant really do that, and
                        some people are going to end up buying duplicate kite sizes.

                        Its kinda a bummer.

                        Jeff

                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 31, 2000
                          Actually the 'rough' figure is that the projected area is ~55% of the
                          total size. an example would be the 15.5 = 8.4 projected. The 11.5 =
                          6.4 projected, the 9.5 = 5.4 projected...these are approximate
                          figures. I am NOT sure if a higher AR affects this, since it is all
                          based on a semicircle foundation. I am convinced AR changes may NOT
                          affect this total measurement vary much (if at all)...any calculus
                          gurus out there?

                          The only reason I am gung ho about the older Naish sizing convention,
                          is that you can compare equivalent kites...foils/sleds...brings them
                          to the same level when using the PROJECTED AREA portion....an example
                          would be the XXXL from Quadrifoil...It pulls 'roughly' the same as my
                          15.5 or the 16.0 Wipika, which have around 8.4 projected. The XXXL
                          has around the same.

                          If we can keep these all on the same level, it would make things 1000X
                          simpler (especially for the consumer). Maybe the Naish sizing
                          convention should have shown projected areas as the MAIN size from day
                          one. Wipika is now showing PROJECTED area, but there convention
                          doesnt allow comparing against any other types of kites. One will buy
                          a 11.8 projected kite and think that it will seriously OUTPULL a
                          Mossie 9.0 or XXXL or their 16.0 FreeAir...but it really wont by much.
                          Alex has already fallen victim to this and now has 2 kites that are
                          roughly the same size.

                          Jeff

                        • metafizx@email.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 1, 2001
                            I see on the Naish kites, both the total area AND projected area are
                            printed on the kite. So, isnt it enough to know the difference
                            between the two, and compare against other inflatables?

                            Does Wipika mark both numbers on their kites? if not, then I can see
                            the confusion.

                          • Todd Snyder
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 1, 2001
                              HEY MAN YOUR STARTING TO SOUND LIKE A TECHY MAN .

                              You usually buy a whole quiver anyways ,so you have no worries.:)

                              What up where you been ?

                              Later,
                              Todd