Almost ripped my arms off!

  • john@jtapley.freeserve.co.uk
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2000
      Can anyone help? I am fairly new to Kiting and would like to advance
      to kite-surfing. I am learning on a 2.6m and 4.0m Sky Tiger
      (depending on wind speed) and using an all-terain mountain board to
      help get to grips with a board. I hope to progress to an ARC. I took
      my 2.6m kite out today with a friend in approx 25mph winds.
      Launching from the edge of the window, the kite shot up launching me
      a couple of foot upwards before letting go of the bar and almost
      ripping my arms off. My friend had the same problem when he tried.
      We gave up instantly before killing ourselves. This was only a 2.6m
      sky tiger which doesn't have any way near as much power as a small
      wipi. I can't see how you can launch a kite-surfing kite such as a
      wipi and not get the same problem. Would you not kite-surf in these
      wind conditions. My friend and I can normally launch and land at the
      edge of the window. Is a wipi or mosq easier to handle? Any advice?
    • rmaise@tampabay.rr.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 31, 2000
        You must have small arms. Maybe you thought it was the side of the
        window when it was'nt. You guys were "hot launching." Both kites have
        different charactaristics during launching. Be careful wit dem arms,
        you gonna need um, kitesurfin iz uh bitch wid' out um!!

      • bnow@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 31, 2000
          You could not have been at the edge of the power window, because you
          would not have had that kind of pull if you were. Check out some web
          sites, and get a better understanding of the power window and how to
          lanch from the edge of it. Imagine your back is to the wind, and the
          wind is blowing directly at your back. Put your arms out like your a
          human cross to feel the wind so you are positioned with your back
          squarely facing the wind. Now look straight down your left out
          streched arm. From where your standing you should be launching the
          kite in the position where your left arm is pointing to from the
          position where your standing. Now look straight up over your head
          and get that reference point. If you were to draw a line from the
          point way over your head to where your launching the kite out beyond
          your left out streched arm, that is the path the kit needs to follow
          to launch at the edge of the window. If this explanation didn't make
          the trip, then by all means study diagrams so you understand it
          well. You were smart to let go and stop until you understand it.
          Ken Winner's video "How to Rip" is an excellent video to get. It
          will give you the visual information you need to get going, and
          possibly save you from getting hurt. Check out this site for some
          information too. http://www.sskiteboarding.com/set_up.asp

          Mark

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2001
            Thanx to those who replied to my original query. As for understanding
            where the edge of the window is, my friend and I had previously taken
            a lesson in Cornwall, UK with a qualified flexifoil sponsored
            instructor to understand the basics of traction kite flying including
            determining where the edge of the window lies. I can safely say that
            we were launching at the edge of the window. According to the
            kitesurfing school
            website:http://members.attcanada.ca/~hungvu/kitesurfing.htm, it
            states that the window is 85 degrees to the left, right and above of
            you with your back to the wind. As for determining what went wrong
            that day, my friend suggested that maybe we were launching to far
            upwind. Does the window angle decrease when there is stronger wind?
            ie: the edge of the window changes from 85 degrees to something like
            70 degrees.??? Also if anyone could answer my original question is
            27mph winds to strong for kite-surfing, that would be greatly
            appreciated. Thanx.
          • guyk@net2wireless.co.il
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 23, 2001
              Hi

              1 - The edge of the window extends in strong wind.
              2 - 27 mph can be to much wind depending on the size of your kite
              your experience and your wight.

              Any way i advise you to take some more lessons.

              Cheers

              Guy
              --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, john@j... wrote:
              > Thanx to those who replied to my original query. As for
              understanding
              > where the edge of the window is, my friend and I had previously
              taken
              > a lesson in Cornwall, UK with a qualified flexifoil sponsored
              > instructor to understand the basics of traction kite flying
              including
              > determining where the edge of the window lies. I can safely say
              that
              > we were launching at the edge of the window. According to the
              > kitesurfing school
              > website:http://members.attcanada.ca/~hungvu/kitesurfing.htm, it
              > states that the window is 85 degrees to the left, right and above
              of
              > you with your back to the wind. As for determining what went wrong
              > that day, my friend suggested that maybe we were launching to far
              > upwind. Does the window angle decrease when there is stronger
              wind?
              > ie: the edge of the window changes from 85 degrees to something
              like
              > 70 degrees.??? Also if anyone could answer my original question is
              > 27mph winds to strong for kite-surfing, that would be greatly
              > appreciated. Thanx.
            • Tobias Braeuer
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 23, 2001
                I agree-for your own savety and for other people:
                take more lessons !
                With Kitesurfing it is very useful to take lessons!

                Toby