LINES 4 ARC

  • m.diffey@breathemail.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2000
      IF I WAS TO BUY THE 840 ARC WHAT LINES WILL I NEED TO FLY IT?
      DO I NEED A BAR WITH A DEPOWERING RING?
      THX MATT.
    • bnow@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2000
        Hi Matt

        I would suggest 40 meter lines if you're starting out. You can go
        with 30-meter lines, but you will find it easier to use 40-meter
        lines to start with. The 40-meter lines give you a longer power
        stroke, and often the wind is a bit more constant that extra 10
        meters up. I would suggest Laser Pro Gold 700Lb white spectra
        lines. Very nice strong spectra Q-type lines with sleeving over the
        ends. As far as a bar setup goes, yes you need a depowering loop and
        adjusting strap to take full advantage of the ARC design. I would
        suggest a bar that does not have a hole in the center, and is at
        least 32-36 inches in length. You need a wide bar on an ARC because
        as you depower the kite the back lines go slack. ARC's tend to run
        the back lines loose in light winds anyhow, and then if you depower
        they will be even more slack. Since the back brake lines are
        attached to the outside ends of the bar, you need a the longer length
        to have good steering ability with the brake lines loose. Bump-n-
        Jump makes such a bar, and they make a kit with depowering loop and
        leader lines. Their leader lines are to short, but you can extend
        them to meet your needs with the proper line. Keep in mind that your
        setup should have the rear brake lines 8-10 inches longer than the
        front lines with the depowering adjusting strap all the way out. I'm
        not a big fan of the depowering/leader line kit Bump n Jump offers,
        but I haven't found a better kit setup yet. I am looking into the
        NSI/FLS system, but I heard about someone having problems with the
        system slipping on the bar. The Bump n Jump depowering setup uses
        Velcro to attach to the bar, the FLS uses a larks head setup from my
        understanding. I think the larks head setup could work just fine if
        they added some Velcro to keep it tight to the bar when there is no
        load on the ring. The main front lines of the ARC attach to the
        center of the bar through the depowering strap and loop setup. Most
        all of the force on an ARC is directed through those two lines in the
        center of the bar, so the bar and depowering setup has to be strong
        enough to take that kind of force. I do know someone who broke a
        Naish bar with a hole in the center of it, so stay with a non-center-
        hole bar if you can. What is your weight and what wind range are you
        attempting to cover with the 840 ARC?

        Mark

      • m.diffey@breathemail.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2001
          hi mark
          im about 12 stone and fly my land kite on a wipika bar.
          the bar is about 36 inches long with no hole though the centre.
          cheers matt.