[ksurf] Re: landing and launching fones (help)

  • Raul F. Argilagos
    Message 1 of 5 , May 7, 1999
      Hey Todd,
      No wonder you're having problems, the 6.5 atk is launched
      from straight downwind, NOT at the edge of the window.
      This kite doesn't launch wipika-wise at the window edge
      but instead foil-wise downwind. Keep it 2 lines, works better.
      Later,
      Raul

      Hello,I have a 6.5 atk I noticed it was a little difficult to launch. When
      I put it at the edge of the window and put sand on the tip to hold it the
      opposite tip would blow down wind . I end up starting in the middle of the
      window.Any tips?
      Also whaen landing would it be more controlable with a three line set up
      instead of two.How do I set it up for three line?
      Thanks for your help.

      Waiting on wind :)
      Later,
      Todd

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/kitesurf
    • Nicolas VIENNE
      Message 2 of 5 , May 7, 1999
        Hi !

        For a good launch, you have to put air in your kite before you fly !
        In the middle of the window is good for small wind, but not in high wind...
        In any case, you've got a very performant kitesurfing kite !!!

        I begin kite-roller with "Rollerblade Coyotte" soon, does anybody practice on the list ???
        High jumps seem possible...
        Thanks for advise !

        See you in the air...
        Nicolas.

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/kitesurf
        www.eGroups.com - Simplifying group communications
      • Rolf Joosten
        Message 3 of 5 , May 7, 1999
          boomjib@... wrote:

          > Hello,I have a 6.5 atk I noticed it was a little difficult to launch. When I put it at the edge of the window and put sand on the tip to hold it the opposite tip would blow down wind . I end up starting in the middle of the window.Any tips?

          Hi Todd!

          We fly the F-ONE 6.5 ATK here in Barbados since December and are quite
          used to it. We always start it in the middle of the window. There are no
          problems, also in higher windspeeds. When you have your lines out just
          hold them on tension to allow
          the kite to get inflated with air for about a minute. It doesn´t have to
          be filled up completely. If you got enough air in it, just give it a
          hard pull, to launch, then sometimes you have to pump the kite a few
          times to fill it completely.

          > Also whaen landing would it be more controlable with a three line set up instead of two.How do I set it up for three line?

          For landing, the best is, to fly the kite to the edge of the window and
          let it down slowly. Best place for this is behind a dune, or somewhere
          else in the windshadow,that, if the kite is down, it doesn´t get blown
          away!
          Somebody, who assists you at the edge and catches the kite, makes it
          easy as well!
          We never tried 3 lines, I think it isn´t necessary!

          Irie and fly high

          Rolf

          eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/kitesurf
        • Dave Culp
          Message 4 of 5 , May 7, 1999
            >boomjib@... wrote:
            >
            >> Hello,I have a 6.5 atk I noticed it was a little difficult to launch.
            >>When I put it at the edge of the window and put sand on the tip to hold
            >>it the opposite tip would blow down wind . I end up starting in the
            >>middle of the window.Any tips?

            Don't know about Fones, but I sometimes launch very large kites in the
            middle of the wind window, then immediately fly them, as low to the water
            as possible, to the window's edge. The kite is flying in "dirty" air, not
            drawing well, and is depowering all the way. It is thus possible to
            launch a kite far too large for the conditions very easily, or one that's
            the right size, still without over-powering at launch.

            Dave Culp

            eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/kitesurf
          • F.ONE
            Message 5 of 5 , May 8, 1999
              Hi ,
              about lauching the F.ONE kite , the trick is to inflate the kite before you
              go to the boom.
              For this you take the kite directly at the bridles , your hands between A
              and B bridles , that is the front one and the middle one .
              When you pull on A the kite is going up if you pul with the back of your
              hands on the B the kite is going back down .
              So keep it just above your head until the air fill up completly the kite ,
              around 30 seconds , depand wind force .
              Then put sand on one edge facing the wind .
              Go to the boom and launch it on the edge of the window .

              This is only possible if you inflate the kite before and much more safe !
              Of course you should go directly to the boom , everything should be ready to
              go , not putting your wetsuit in between !

              More time the kite is taking to take is volume more time he will keep this
              volume and more chances you will have to relaunch it from water .

              About landing , on the window edge with someone ready to grab it or behind a
              dune so he doesn't fly away to fast .

              About 3 or 4 lines , you will use the same launching on the beach but you
              will have much more chances to relaunch it from water .
              For landing on the beach pulling on the brakes lines , the kite is keeping
              his volume so is pulling more than a normal kite so don't do it in too much
              wind .

              See on water
              Raphaël Salles