[ksurf] Re: Board modifications

  • Nicolas VIENNE
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 1999
      Hi !

      I've tried with a bungee cord: Bad Idea !
      The board came back on you each time you fall in water.
      Only 1 advantage: it doesn't stay in water, so you don't loose speed...
      Best place on you: your ankle !
      On your board: back is good.
      Length: 2 to 2.5 m

      Good luck,
      Nicolas.

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/kitesurf
      www.eGroups.com - Simplifying group communications
    • Michel Montmigny
      Message 2 of 4 , May 11, 1999
        Hello Lee,

        Fox boards are very nice and work very well. Theyve made boards for us and they sale our New WAVE kites that relaunche very well from water. We use it 4 lines with handles but you can fly it 2 -3 lines on bar.
        We just come back from Cape Haterras. 6 marvelous days and 45 hours on water to test our kites in all sizes... 2.2 to 9.0 sq/m
        We ride 6.8 to 7 foot boards from Fox and we use 9 foot long thick leech to keep our boards attach to us.
        Dont use bungee! Did you ever eat a polyester board?

        Have nice ride and long life to Kitesurf.

        Catch the WAVE with CONCEPT AIR

        Michel Montminy
        Message 3 of 4 , May 11, 1999
          Hello Lee,

          I have been using a Fox 7'6" kite board for the last month or so and am very pleased with the performance.  I have been able to go upwind very nicely using the board and a Wipika 8.5 m.  I would recommend using a heavy surfboard leash, 9' or longer, attached to your ankle or harness.  The Fox board has a glassed in leash attachment point at the rear of the board.

          Good sailing,
          Rick
          Boca Raton

          Have been kite flying for 15 years, power flying for 14 and am very anxious to try kite surfing.  Have a Fox board on order but for now I have modified an old 8'8" Seatrend, putting on 2 extra fins and moving the footstraps forward.  Does anyone have any suggestions for the tether line - front of board or back, how long should it be and where is the best place to hook it to me?  Has anyone tried bungee cord?  I hope to get out this week.  Thanks! Lee

          Does your free web site address contain more letters than the alphabet? Register a domain name with DomainDirect. A domain and NO hosting fees. Visit http://www.domaindirect.com for full details

          eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/kitesurf
          www.eGroups.com - Simplifying group communications

          click here
          Click Here!

          eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/kitesurf
          www.eGroups.com - Simplifying group communications

          eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/kitesurf
          www.eGroups.com - Simplifying group communications
        • Ian Young
          Message 4 of 4 , May 11, 1999
            >Does anyone have any suggestions for the tether line - front of >board or
            >back, how long should it be and where is the best place to >hook it to me?
            >Has anyone tried bungee cord

            I find if it is anchored at the front, about 1/4 the board length on the
            opposite side that you want the board when water starting - this
            dramatically reduces the chances of the board submarining and creating a sea
            anchor (can be very dangerous - broken leash or sling shot the board at
            you).

            Attach the leash to your harness on the hip of the side you want the board -
            this makes it very easy to pull the board back to you, keeps it clear of
            your feet and in the event of a board submarining doesn't pull your leg off.

            I find a long body board curly cord the best leash to use.

            Cheers,
            Ian Young

            WinDesigns Australia
            www.iinet.net.au/~ianyoung