Re: Naish AR5 tuning

  • Jeff Quick
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2000
      Hi Ethan,

      Tuning should be done by varying the top line lengths (which connect
      at a common point, hence easier than modifying the back lines)
      Actually this is really not 'tuning', but more adjusting the sheeting
      angle of the kite. The Inflateable kites are hard set and shouldn't
      need to be 'tuned' per se, which is great and one less hassle!

      To change the sheeting angle you can do one of two things:

      1. Change where the knots are on the top/front leader line
      2. Use the manual trim strap supplied by Naish (which connects to the
      top/front leader line), or build one of your own. (I prefer and use
      the manual trim strap, as its on the fly trimming!)

      Lay out your bar and lines on the ground, and make sure all the leader
      lines and knots are all equal (this is the neutral position, and if
      you have a manual trim strap, you may want to mark this with a magik
      marker. This neutral position is probably the best position for the
      kite if you have the wind for it, but you can always sheet the kite in
      even more for more power, up to a point.)

      Here is how it works:
      Making the top lines (front lines) LONGER will create more power in
      the kite (up to a point) and will make it turn quicker (up to a point)
      This is sheeting the kite IN.

      Making the top/front lines SHORTER will lessen the power, and make it
      harder to turn and not as responsive. This is sheeting the kite OUT.
      The more you sheet the kite out, the more apt the kite will be to luff
      to be careful. However, since the kite will be riding so far on the
      edge of the window, it will increase your upwind capability, provided
      you can keep it from luffing. You'll need ALOT of wind for this.

      Remember, with a manual trim strap, you can change all of this on the
      fly, depending on the conditions!

      Hope this helps,
      Jeff