Re: [ksurf] New Wakeboarddesigns

  • Dwight & Jacky
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2000
      ask elliot at www.elliotleboe.com

      > Hi all,
      >
      > brousing through the latest issue of kiteboarding mag, I got the
      impression
      > that the picklefork design is slowly becomming outdated. Still over 90% of
      > the wakeboardpics are pickleforcs, but Elliot and Mauricio seem to use on
      > their latest pics also different shapes.
      > The cabrinah-board Elliot rides on the pages 21 to 23 is a single-fin
      > pintail-board with channels.
      > Mauricio rides something that looks like a LF trip (but isn't) in the
      > airrush-ad at the back of the cover.
      > While I could find an explanation why someone wants a squaretail (like the
      > board Mauricio rides) instead of a swallow-tail on his (wake-)kiteboard,
      > give more pop off the wake, I don't know any reason for a pintail.
      > A pintail has not signifficantly more area than a swallowtail in the
      > tailsection so it shouldn't pop any better, but it has a significantly
      > shorter edge so it should not cut as well. I don't believe that the
      channels
      > can compensate for that.
      > So what's the reason for pintails?
      > Can anybody shed some light on that, please?
      >
      > Later Ronald

    • Todd Snyder
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2000
        I can't tell you why a pin tail maybe he likes the way it looks . It might help
        on those big power carves off the bottom of a ten foot face.

        I just had my custom design made a 142 with a 1'' dimond tips and a 18'' long
        channels on both sides of the rails . With four fins two at each tip. you could
        say with the shorter rail will sit deeper when railing or that the dimond tip
        will help keep you online through a turn but I just like the way it looks!!!

        the tips are cosmetic width, bottom contour, rocker, and rail out line probably
        have more effect on performance than tips.

        Later,
        Todd

        Ronald Kittag wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > brousing through the latest issue of kiteboarding mag, I got the impression
        > that the picklefork design is slowly becomming outdated. Still over 90% of
        > the wakeboardpics are pickleforcs, but Elliot and Mauricio seem to use on
        > their latest pics also different shapes.
        > The cabrinah-board Elliot rides on the pages 21 to 23 is a single-fin
        > pintail-board with channels.
        > Mauricio rides something that looks like a LF trip (but isn't) in the
        > airrush-ad at the back of the cover.
        > While I could find an explanation why someone wants a squaretail (like the
        > board Mauricio rides) instead of a swallow-tail on his (wake-)kiteboard, to
        > give more pop off the wake, I don't know any reason for a pintail.
        > A pintail has not signifficantly more area than a swallowtail in the
        > tailsection so it shouldn't pop any better, but it has a significantly
        > shorter edge so it should not cut as well. I don't believe that the channels
        > can compensate for that.
        > So what's the reason for pintails?
        > Can anybody shed some light on that, please?
        >
        > Later Ronald

      • Ronald Kittag
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2000
          Hi Todd and all interested,

          > the tips are cosmetic width, bottom contour, rocker, > and rail out line
          probably
          > have more effect on performance than tips.

          I don't think it's all cosmetic.
          assume you have two boards of lets say 145 cm:
          -with a swallow-tail the running edge is almost 145 cm and quite straight
          -with a diamond tail it's deffinately shorter (maybe 130)
          -with a pintail it's again shorter and more rounded as well (maybe 125)

          So at least the rail-outline is affected by the shape of the tips.
          The pickleforks have multi-fins, long, straight, sharp edges a tripple-stage
          rocker and are quite narrow. So basically - except of the channels on the
          bottom - they have all the ingrediants, that make a wakeboard work well as a
          kiteboard. The swallowtail is said to be helpful to control gusty
          conditions. And if it's no placebo-effect I noticed that on my board as
          well.
          The reason why I asked is, I want to determine if these new boarddesigns are
          any better or just something new, that looks cool.
          Any comments from boarddesigners? David?...

          Later Ronald