Re: [ksurf] new FLexifoil waterfoil

  • Carl
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 28, 2000
      This is true they are going to make a relanchable Blade but not till next
      year some time.

      Carl

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 28, 2000
        I think somebody on this group already reported using one, or at least a
        prototype, & it didn't work any where near as well as the regular blade.
        Maybe they went "back to the drawing board" & this new rumor is about one
        that works better.

        Mel
      • Greg Walsh
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 29, 2000
          --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, KiteBoard@a... wrote:
          > I think somebody on this group already reported using one, or at
          least a
          > prototype, & it didn't work any where near as well as the regular
          blade.
          > Maybe they went "back to the drawing board" & this new rumor is
          about one
          > that works better.
          >
          > Mel

          Anybody know why kite guys take so long to get serious production
          models to market? Mossie II and the NewWave aside we've been waiting
          for the production Nexus and the relaunchable Blade to appear for
          ages. The Slider sounds like it's still in prototype form and even
          the Arc and the Waterfoil aren't exactly commonly available.

          It can't be that hard, paraglider manufacturers bring out major
          improvements in a range of models and sizes with frequent regularity
          and they have to go through an outrageously expensive certification
          process. And they use way more fabric than kites.
        • Peter Barnes
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 29, 2000
            --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, "Greg Walsh" <gregwal@e...> wrote:
            > Anybody know why kite guys take so long to get serious production
            > models to market? Mossie II and the NewWave aside we've been
            waiting
            > for the production Nexus and the relaunchable Blade to appear for
            > ages. The Slider sounds like it's still in prototype form and even
            > the Arc and the Waterfoil aren't exactly commonly available.
            >
            > It can't be that hard, paraglider manufacturers bring out major
            > improvements in a range of models and sizes with frequent
            regularity
            > and they have to go through an outrageously expensive certification
            > process. And they use way more fabric than kites.

            Greg,
            Flexi will make public what they've been up to in due course. The
            final models that go to mass production *will* be sweet, you can bet
            on it. The first Blades were a long time in development, sure, but
            they are something to be proud of, design and quality wise! There's
            a reason why Flash and Max Bo use them in preference to other wings
            when going for big air.

            As it was, Flexi managed to put a totally new kite into production
            which was almost free from inherent defects right from day one. The
            same can't be said for any other kite manufacturer I know of. The
            Nexus has been flying for ages (like years), but again, it's a new
            concept, and they want it to be the best. If you look some of the
            other relaunchable foils, they retro-fit valves, airbags or whatever,
            produce, then sort out problems later, at our expense. The inherent
            performance issues with doing that come second priority to getting
            something on the market. Flexi hasn't done that, at it's own cost in
            the short term. Respect, I say!!! PL was abused for doing it
            previously (even though the kites were cheap), and is now copping
            flack for putting in more development time prior to market. Can't
            win, eh.

            Hmmm, is it obvious I kinda like my Blades ;-) Now, were's those big
            floating ones of my dreams?

            Pete
          • Richard Lui
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 30, 2000
              yes, there is work being done on one at the moment, however there is
              no release date. Don't expect something to pop up this year. The R&D
              time will take up most of next year too.

              however, good news ... the Blade 9m will be released by spring.

              later,

              Richard Lui
              ExtremeKites
              North American Importer
            • Greg Walsh
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 30, 2000
                --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, "Peter Barnes" <peter.barnes@p...> wrote:

                > Greg,
                > Flexi will make public what they've been up to in due course. The
                > final models that go to mass production *will* be sweet, you can
                bet
                > on it. The first Blades were a long time in development, sure, but
                > they are something to be proud of, design and quality wise!
                There's
                > a reason why Flash and Max Bo use them in preference to other wings
                > when going for big air.
                >
                > As it was, Flexi managed to put a totally new kite into production
                > which was almost free from inherent defects right from day one.
                The
                > same can't be said for any other kite manufacturer I know of. The
                > Nexus has been flying for ages (like years), but again, it's a new
                > concept, and they want it to be the best. If you look some of the
                > other relaunchable foils, they retro-fit valves, airbags or
                whatever,
                > produce, then sort out problems later, at our expense. The
                inherent
                > performance issues with doing that come second priority to getting
                > something on the market. Flexi hasn't done that, at it's own cost
                in
                > the short term. Respect, I say!!! PL was abused for doing it
                > previously (even though the kites were cheap), and is now copping
                > flack for putting in more development time prior to market. Can't
                > win, eh.
                >
                > Hmmm, is it obvious I kinda like my Blades ;-) Now, were's those
                big
                > floating ones of my dreams?
                >
                > Pete

                I'm not suggesting their quality is suspect, just curious as to why
                it takes sooooo long to produce a new kite. I'm not targeting
                Flexifoil but they would be a good example. I assume their designers
                work at kite designing all day every day. You'd think they could
                knock out a prototype couple of days if they wanted to and travel to
                where the wind's blowing to test it out. I'm told it takes 12 hours
                to make a paraglider from starting the cutting machine to wrapping it
                up and putting in the bag. I know one manufacturer went through 25
                prototypes for one model and they brought out 4 different models over
                2 years.
              • David Trewern
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 30, 2000
                  >> Greg,
                  >> Flexi will make public what they've been up to in due course. The
                  >> final models that go to mass production *will* be sweet, you can
                  > bet
                  >> on it. The first Blades were a long time in development, sure, but
                  >> they are something to be proud of, design and quality wise!
                  > There's
                  >> a reason why Flash and Max Bo use them in preference to other wings
                  >> when going for big air.

                  Since when? I have never seen a photo of Flash or Max using a blade? And I
                  have seen lots of photos videos and interviews with these guys.

                  They win their hang time competitions with their AR5's. Surely if they could
                  get much bigger air with a blade they would be sponsored by Flexi - or Jason
                  Furness would be up their in the hang time comp...

                  I know that Elliot uses a blade and gets huge air with them - but I don't
                  know that Flash and Max 'prefer' them. Where did this info come from?

                  DT
                • Peter Barnes
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 30, 2000
                    --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, David Trewern <david@d...> wrote:

                    > Since when? I have never seen a photo of Flash or Max using a
                    blade? And I
                    > have seen lots of photos videos and interviews with these guys.
                    >
                    > They win their hang time competitions with their AR5's. Surely if
                    they could
                    > get much bigger air with a blade they would be sponsored by Flexi -
                    or Jason
                    > Furness would be up their in the hang time comp...
                    >
                    > I know that Elliot uses a blade and gets huge air with them - but I
                    don't
                    > know that Flash and Max 'prefer' them. Where did this info come
                    from?

                    Oops, that stirred the pot! Senile dementia is setting in. Ben gave
                    me a serve off-list as well. Flash and Max, to the best of my
                    knowledge, fly Naish. My dyslexia. Elliot and Lou Wainman, however,
                    have been known to use Blades. Lou used them in the final at Leucate
                    this year, which I doubt he'd have done if he didn't like them.
                    Elliot has got some air miles on Blades, but both are now with Liquid
                    Force, right? There's something in UK KiteBoard about when and where
                    the preference lies with Blades, but it could be nationalistic crap,
                    so the 'prefer' statement isn't justifiable. I was more on a wind up
                    about the whole time to market thing. Basically, I reckon companies
                    like PL, Flexi et al are losing out because they're trying to go in
                    new directions. If they sent an immature design into production we
                    howl, if they spend time on it, we moan 'cos it takes too long.

                    Must learn not to spout BS when tired and emotional ;-)
                    Pete
                  • Peter Barnes
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 30, 2000
                      --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, "Greg Walsh" <gregwal@e...> wrote:
                      > I'm not suggesting their quality is suspect, just curious as to why
                      > it takes sooooo long to produce a new kite. I'm not targeting
                      > Flexifoil but they would be a good example. I assume their
                      designers
                      > work at kite designing all day every day. You'd think they could
                      > knock out a prototype couple of days if they wanted to and travel
                      > where the wind's blowing to test it out. I'm told it takes 12 hours
                      > to make a paraglider from starting the cutting machine to wrapping
                      it
                      > up and putting in the bag. I know one manufacturer went through 25
                      > prototypes for one model and they brought out 4 different models
                      over
                      > 2 years.

                      Yeah, I agree. Thing is, money and kites is a relatively novel
                      concept, and it's money that lets you do R&D, expand production
                      facilities, pay people to fly etc. There'll be a bit of Darwinian
                      selection among the brands soon enough, I guess.

                      Now, I dunno about you, but I'm off to the beach :-)
                      Pete
                    • Ronald Kittag
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 1, 2000
                        > Elliot has got some air miles on Blades, but both
                        > are now with Liquid
                        > Force, right?

                        Lou's riding Liquidforce, but Elliot has switched to Cabrinah-kites recently