Re: [ksurf] Re: neverending kitemares

  • KiteBoard@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 27, 2000
      In a message dated 11/27/00 11:30:11 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      jimbocanniff@... writes:

      << If you are in trouble it is much better to
      NOT be attached to the kite. >>

      Better for YOU, but think of the unfortunate folks downwind of you.

      << ...the kite will float to the surface ... Hopefully it will take on water
      and/or wash up on shore without attaching to anything. >>

      Or anyONE!! How would YOU like to have an upwind rider drop his leashless,
      water-launchable? After the lines snag on your body, & lift/drag you to an
      untimely death (or worse) you'll likely reconsider.

      AND: metafizx@... writes:

      << Those that fly inflatables, and in areas where the site is different,
      ie, people on the beach, houses, etc. (wind side-on/on), suggest that
      the kite leash is always used, even with foils. agree? >>

      That's right. Especially (but not only) water launchable foils.

      Mel
    • jimbocanniff@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 28, 2000
        You may be right and I've gone back and forth b/w using a leash and
        not. But one of my worst kitemares was caused by the leash. I landed
        badly and the leash wrapped around the handle pulling one side hard
        and not releasing. The kite did a death spiral, dragging me by my
        wrist about 200'. I ended up a few feet onto the beach before the
        kite crashed into the dune grass and depowered. In that situation,
        which scared the crap out of me, the safety leash was not safe.

        Maybe if Robby, Flash et al start wearing them....
        Funny how no one in the magazines or videos has a safety leash and
        yet they kite in very crowded spots??? Stranger still that many of
        them are the kite designers/manufacturers and their guides all
        implore you to wear one. Anyway, I'm not sold one way or the other.
        I'll use the DLG (don't let go) system until I see something better.

      • KiteBoard@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 28, 2000
          In a message dated 00-11-28 11:26:16 EST, jimbocanniff@... writes:

          << one of my worst kitemares was caused by the leash. I landed
          badly and the leash wrapped around the handle pulling one side hard
          and not releasing. The kite did a death spiral, dragging me by my
          wrist about 200'. I ended up a few feet onto the beach before the
          kite crashed into the dune grass and depowered. In that situation,
          which scared the crap out of me, the safety leash was not safe. >>

          That IS scary! My stock Naish leash now comes nowhere near the end of the
          bar. It goes to the middle of my harness hook (through the harness line
          loop) where it attaches via a quick-release plastic "Fastex" buckle. I think
          if the above happened to me, either the buckle would snap, or I'd be able to
          release it (since both hands are free).

          << Maybe if Robby, Flash et al start wearing them.... >>

          It bothers me that they're setting such a very poor example. I'm also a
          little concerned that when they injure somebody & get sued, Naish company may
          have to stop making those great kites. Hopefully the Slider & ARC will be as
          good as they say!

          It seems to me that handle passes are the only thing you can't do with a
          properly designed leash sytem. It follows that most of us should still be
          using leashes, since not only can very few of us actually do handle passes,
          but they don't really even look all that cool. It's not like spinning or
          looping, which just plain look cool, handle passes are only cool because
          they're difficult.

          Mel
        • Jonathan K. Smith
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 28, 2000
            > one of my worst kitemares was caused by the leash. I landed
            > badly and the leash wrapped around the handle pulling one side hard
            > and not releasing. The kite did a death spiral, dragging me by my
            > wrist about 200'. I ended up a few feet onto the beach before the
            > kite crashed into the dune grass and depowered. In that situation,
            > which scared the crap out of me, the safety leash was not safe. >>

            I personally don't like the two-line leash system on the Naishes. Partly
            because it's a pain when rigging but mostly because it does get tangled in a
            crash and can be dangerous as you found out. I've had the same thing happen,
            but way out where it didn't scare me. It just pissed me off! What I do now
            is tape the leash line to the left main line. I use one turn of electrical
            tape once every foot or two. That keeps the line from looping around
            something when it gets slack in a crash, but will also function perfectly
            with a dropped bar. The tape breaks easily. It's a pain to retape, but I
            don't drop bars much anymore. About 10 really small rubber bands would work
            great too.

            The Airush Reride control bar has a superior leash design in my opinion. The
            line with the leash goes through a hole on the end of the bar and knots. On
            the other end of the knot is a wrist leash. When the bar is dropped, it
            slides up the line toward the kite until it hits the upper knot about 20
            feet up the line. There's no third line slopping around.
          • metafizx@email.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 29, 2000
              well you arent the only one, as I found out. I talked to a few kiters
              here, and it's controversial. Most wear a leash for the kite, many
              dont for the board. BUT some dont wear a kite leash. hmmmmmm...
              These are good kiters too.

              While I certainly wear and avocate a kite leash, I see the problems.
              I have had leash hell in my personal kitemares. But I think its worth
              taking a chance that the leash will work when I need it.

            • metafizx@email.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 1, 2000
                More on the controversy of leashes:

                "I could go on and on with other "events" I have had kitesurfing,
                including issues with board leashes and kite leashes. With the
                latter two, I am going to completely revise my set up. Forget
                about the stock Naish wrist leash for the kite, dangerous and
                unusable when doing 360s. Board leash also equally dangerous
                (if not more), I have even had it wrap around my neck in mid-air
                (leash length too long?). Pros aint using any sort of leashes, I
                think I'll follow suit for the sake of personal safety - I'm sick
                of getting beat up!"

                reply...

                "take a day and practice body dragging up wind. I know a number
                of directional guys who have done this and can get to their board
                in one or two passes. Then 86 the leash!
                The wrist leash setup a number of guys here have been using is a
                pass through the bar leader line with a stainless steel ring on the
                bottom. The wrist part is often a surf ankle Velcro to two feet of
                webbing and a quick release to snap to the stainless ring. Makes
                for quick unhooks to spin your bar free of twists and such. I am
                using a Davinci bar with a slightly different pass-through and
                quick release system."