Re: [ksurf] wet-suit q?

  • Robert Pratt
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 9, 2000
      JEEZ!!!
      60' we don't usually bother with a wettie unless the air is less than @70'

      Body fat also plays a big part in keeping warm... a fat ass like me doesn't need a wetsuit til it gets COLD.

      60' water and 90' air is way different than 60' water and 50' air

      Yes shortie wetsuits are availble. Here in the mid-west I have a shortie, a steamer (full suit but not too thick) and a drysuit.

      good luck... bob

      >>> lenik@... 11/09/00 02:53AM >>>
      Hi,

      I'm looking for a wetsuit and wondering if I can survive
      in 14-16`C water (~60`F) wearing something else
      except full 5/3 thick wetsuit with long sleeves? Does
      anybody kitesurf in short sleeved knee-long outfit in
      these conditions?

      I have no previous experience in wetsuits and
      any info (FAQ,URL?) is greatly appreciated.

      lenik.

      The Kitesurf Group is sponsored by windTools -
      The first foils with a real depower and safety System: Stamos and Mosquito II Pro KS

      For more informations, please visit: www.windTools.com

    • extreme kites
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 9, 2000
        I like this thread. I guess coming form the eastern U.S. I assumed wetsuits
        were common knowledge. Given the drastic seasonal changes here we gain allot
        of knowledge on how to keep warm. In summer when the air hits 90F and the
        water 75f no suit is necessary. But in the fall the air can drop to 40f when
        the water is still 70f, long sleeved, shortie works fine. Winter is a
        totally different story, 3/2 fullsuit with booties will do till the water
        drops to 50f, then it's time to either get out the 5/4 semi dry, with hood,
        boots and 3mm textured gloves.(or go snow boarding) Oh and don't forget
        spring, hot air, cold ass water, short sleeves/ long legs or convertible.

        So lets see. I guess there is no perfect combo. Not to mention everyone
        handle the cold differently. If you have an extra $1000, just buy one of
        every type, put them all in your bag and you'll be prepared.

        Or we could all just go to Bali!

        All in fun,

        Ron
        > I'm looking for a wetsuit and wondering if I can survive
        > in 14-16`C water (~60`F) wearing something else
        > except full 5/3 thick wetsuit with long sleeves? Does
        > anybody kitesurf in short sleeved knee-long outfit in
        > these conditions?
        >
        > I have no previous experience in wetsuits and
        > any info (FAQ,URL?) is greatly appreciated.
        >
        > lenik.
        >

        > The Kitesurf Group is sponsored by windTools -
        > The first foils with a real depower and safety System: Stamos and
        Mosquito II Pro KS

        > For more informations, please visit: www.windTools.com

      • Tom Rolf
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 9, 2000
          Comfort is not the only consideration. But can you survive the hypothermia, on that long
          swim in when all goes wrong.

        • KiteBoard@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 9, 2000
            Baggy dry suits are no longer used for watersports (only wet sailboats). I
            think the main reason is difficulty swimming when water gets in (& it will,
            especially when getting dragged by a kite!).

            Mel
          • Colin Gowland
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 9, 2000
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 9, 2000
                I'm also in Eastern US, here's my $0.02..

                first of all, if air is much less than 45F or so &/or water less than
                very low 50s, I don't go out. I've ended up with 3 suits that work
                well - 4/3 ONeill ZenZip full suit ($300?), 3/3 cheap no-name-o full
                suit ($100) and 3/2 shorty ($70). If air is on the cold side I'll go
                with the 4/3 regardless of water. It's really a semi-dry suit. I'll
                get occasional surges up the legs, but torso stays pretty dry. OTOH,
                if air is hot, I can't stand it regardless of water temp. I've found
                the 3/3 to be great for late spring / early fall as long as water is
                over about 55 and air is ovr 65 or so. If water &/or air are colder,
                it's the 4/3. If it's hot, say over 75 I go with the shorty
                regardless of water. Ocean off Cape Cod can be 55F in midsummer and
                I've survived fine in a shorty in midsummer. Just don't spend too
                much time in the water! All this keeps me covered from march to
                November in new england. FWIW, windsurfers ahve told me that this
                gear may be on the light side, so I may not be very cold-sensitive.

                keep in mind that suits are NOT equal. A good suit with taped seams,
                super-stretchy, minimal or no zipper is FAR warmer than the same
                thickness suit without the goodies. IMHO, the warmer the air and
                water the less need for fancy features. I think you can get set for
                almost anything for a lot less than $1000. But don't skimp on the
                real warm suit.

                -D

              • notakook@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 9, 2000

                  << > Baggy dry suits are no longer used for watersports (only wet sailboats).

                  Not true Mel. Many threads on rec.windsurfing in the last while singing the
                  praises of the Kokotat drysuit. Apparently it's breathable letting your
                  sweat escape as well. >>

                  Baggy drysuits are ALL that the wakeboarding community uses! I think aside
                  from riding in surf a baggy would work great. I don't think its gonna offer
                  as much protection and there's always the danger of blowing a seal but not as
                  much of a hassle as a fitted dry or semidry. BTW I gave up the 3/2 full
                  wetsuit entirely and now use a 4/3 xcel chest zip right up to a 2mm Neo top
                  with trunks. This set up keeps me in the water from late march thru early
                  decemeber here in NJ. It gets rough sometimes but never dangerous or
                  miserable.

                  Brent
                • KiteBoard@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 9, 2000
                    In a message dated 11/9/00 8:15:33 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                    colin-gowland@... writes:

                    << Many threads on rec.windsurfing in the last while singing the
                    praises of the Kokotat drysuit. >>

                    For advanced riders who aren't pushing themselves they may be great (I could
                    use one for cruising on a sailboard). Maybe okay even for intermediate
                    windsurfers, but imagine the sea anchor created when the kite's dragging you
                    & the water is forced under pressure through the arm & neck holes.

                    Mel
                  • Richard Maise
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 9, 2000
                      ---
                      If the baggy type dry suit gets a hole, or busts a seam, it can be
                      repaired. Some of them have a little repair kit with them. Skiwarm, a
                      division of Connelly waterskis, has a top of the line drysuit called
                      a Sahara. It's a thick neoprene type. it's supposed to be the best on
                      the market.

                    • Philip Burke
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 10, 2000
                        I would not buy a loose drysuit.
                        If you poke a hole in it while out you will drown!
                        I think O'neil makes the most rugged drysuit.
                        The oasis 1 has a metal zipper, made for windsurfing, is one piece,
                        has expanded wrist and forearm area. its rugged and well built!
                        It sells about $300
                        Phil B
                      • aworm
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 2, 2003
                          Campbell

                          Try Typhoon you can get one for about £220.A number of the guys in the North West swear by them.

                        • gavin
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 2, 2003
                            I'm looking for the best technique to find a leak in my 14m leading edge
                            bladder.
                            I've had the bladder out of the kite a couple of times now, but not had
                            any luck.