Wakeboard technique

  • Litewave Dave
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2000
       to each their own but for me spinning just makes me dizzy... and the twintip slide and change direction (not jibing) is kind of ugly
      To make it more beautiful, first spin a 180 and ride toe-side for a ways, then make a nice heel side carve to the new reach.  Really pretty if there's a nice wave face to smack in the middle of the heel turn.

      --
      Keep groovin,

      Litewave Dave
      http://www.litewavedesigns.com

      Wake-n-Style dealer inquiries welcome

    • deon@thatdeonguy.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2000
        To all of us former windsurfers.
        You guys just gotta try a big wake board.
        I was out yesterday at Seal Beach from 330pm-530pm
        Wind is from 13mph-15mph-12mph.
        3 windsurfers out with huge sails 7.5-9.0,
        & big slalom boards 285cm-335cm.
        They are planeing then falling off a plane, planeing then falling off
        a plane.
        I am having a blast. Not windy enough to really jump.
        But windy enough not have to work my 11.5 naish all the time.
        And I am on a 6'3'' wake-n-style that weighs 6 pounds.

        Now with about 15 days of riding this wake-n-style board, "MY JIBE"
        (heelside to toeside reach then rip a big heelside turn while the kite
        is yanking me in the other direction) It is starting to feel like
        riding my Burton alpine board on a heel side turn with hard boots. I
        just love that feeling of pulling G's.
        I think that's what all the directional fans think they will be giving
        up. You guys... It's even better!
        Deon

        Litewave Dave <info@l...> wrote:
        > > to each their own but for me spinning just makes me
        > > dizzy... and the twintip slide and change direction (not
        > > jibing) is kind of ugly
        > >
        > To make it more beautiful, first spin a 180 and ride toe-side for a
        > ways, then make a nice heel side carve to the new reach. Really
        pretty
        > if there's a nice wave face to smack in the middle of the heel turn.
        >
        > --
        > Keep groovin,
        >
        > Litewave Dave
        > http://www.litewavedesigns.com
        >
        > Wake-n-Style dealer inquiries welcome
      • Mark Frasier
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2000
          on 11/1/00 11:54 AM, deon@... at deon@... wrote:

          > To all of us former windsurfers.
          > You guys just gotta try a big wake board.
          > I was out yesterday at Seal Beach from 330pm-530pm
          > Wind is from 13mph-15mph-12mph.
          > 3 windsurfers out with huge sails 7.5-9.0,
          > & big slalom boards 285cm-335cm.
          > They are planeing then falling off a plane, planeing then falling off
          > a plane.
          > I am having a blast. Not windy enough to really jump.
          > But windy enough not have to work my 11.5 naish all the time.
          > And I am on a 6'3'' wake-n-style that weighs 6 pounds.
          >
          > Now with about 15 days of riding this wake-n-style board, "MY JIBE"
          > (heelside to toeside reach then rip a big heelside turn while the kite
          > is yanking me in the other direction) It is starting to feel like
          > riding my Burton alpine board on a heel side turn with hard boots. I
          > just love that feeling of pulling G's.
          > I think that's what all the directional fans think they will be giving
          > up. You guys... It's even better!
          > Deon

          Cool - I'm gonna have to try to buy or borrow a wakeboard in the spring.
          That does sound fun.

          Mark Frasier
        • Stefano
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 1, 2000
            > > Now with about 15 days of riding this wake-n-style board, "MY JIBE"
            > > (heelside to toeside reach then rip a big heelside turn while the kite
            > > is yanking me in the other direction) It is starting to feel like
            > > riding my Burton alpine board on a heel side turn with hard boots. I
            > > just love that feeling of pulling G's.
            > > I think that's what all the directional fans think they will be giving
            > > up. You guys... It's even better!

            im waiting on a wakenstyle already ! i dont think that wakeboards dont pull
            jibes... but choosing a wakebaord to avoid jibes is what i am against !

            jibe jibe jibe.... whatever you ride !
          • Richard Maise
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 1, 2000
              --Screw the Jibe- Next time, try an air 540 then crank the other
              way. Try that on your directional. He He

              - In kitesurf@egroups.com, Litewave Dave <info@l...> wrote:
              > > to each their own but for me spinning just makes me
              > > dizzy... and the twintip slide and change direction (not
              > > jibing) is kind of ugly
              > >
              > To make it more beautiful, first spin a 180 and ride toe-side for a
              > ways, then make a nice heel side carve to the new reach. Really
              pretty
              > if there's a nice wave face to smack in the middle of the heel turn.
              >
              > --
              > Keep groovin,
              >
              > Litewave Dave
              > http://www.litewavedesigns.com
              >
              > Wake-n-Style dealer inquiries welcome
            • Drew Murphy
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 1, 2000
                sounds good, but if u watch 'The Powerzone' video, a guy actually
                does do an air 540 to change direction on a directional... it's in
                the first directional section after the lou/elliot section.

                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 1, 2000
                  sounds good, but if u watch 'The Powerzone' video, a guy actually
                  does do an air 540 to change direction on a directional... it's in
                  the first directional section after the lou/elliot section.

                  --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, "Richard Maise" <RMAISE@T...> wrote:
                  > --Screw the Jibe- Next time, try an air 540 then crank the other
                  > way. Try that on your directional. He He
                  >

                  > - In kitesurf@egroups.com, Litewave Dave <info@l...> wrote:
                  > > > to each their own but for me spinning just makes me
                  > > > dizzy... and the twintip slide and change direction (not
                  > > > jibing) is kind of ugly
                  > > >
                  > > To make it more beautiful, first spin a 180 and ride toe-side for
                  > > ways, then make a nice heel side carve to the new reach. Really
                  > pretty
                  > > if there's a nice wave face to smack in the middle of the heel
                  turn.

                  > > --
                  > > Keep groovin,
                  > >
                  > > Litewave Dave
                  > > http://www.litewavedesigns.com
                  > >
                  > > Wake-n-Style dealer inquiries welcome
                • Colin Gowland
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 1, 2000
                    > im waiting on a wakenstyle already ! i dont think that wakeboards dont
                    pull
                    > jibes... but choosing a wakebaord to avoid jibes is what i am against !
                    >
                    > jibe jibe jibe.... whatever you ride !

                    Or you can do something creative instead!
                  • Richard Maise
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 1, 2000
                      You're right Drew, I never thought about starting toeside, I never
                      ride toeside, i'll have to try that. He did it with a spin, I do
                      handlepass.

                      -- In kitesurf@egroups.com, "Drew Murphy" <d-murphy@a...> wrote:

                      > sounds good, but if u watch 'The Powerzone' video, a guy actually
                      > does do an air 540 to change direction on a directional... it's in
                      > the first directional section after the lou/elliot section.
                      >
                      > --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, "Richard Maise" <RMAISE@T...> wrote:
                      > > --Screw the Jibe- Next time, try an air 540 then crank the
                      other
                      > > way. Try that on your directional. He He

                      > > > To make it more beautiful, first spin a 180 and ride toe-side
                      for
                      > > > ways, then make a nice heel side carve to the new reach.
                      Really
                      > > pretty
                      > > > if there's a nice wave face to smack in the middle of the heel
                      > turn.
                      > > >
                      > > > --
                      > > > Keep groovin,
                      > > >
                      > > > Litewave Dave
                      > > > http://www.litewavedesigns.com
                      > > >
                      > > > Wake-n-Style dealer inquiries welcome
                    • Rainer Leuschke
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 1, 2000
                        You can go toe side or heel side on twintips and directionals. The only
                        difference seems to be that on a directional you would at some point
                        switch your feet, if you intend to keep going in that direction for a
                        while. Now, somebody remind me what the problem is with changing your
                        feet.? ... What? You have to practise to get good at it? Oh golly....
                        R!

                        --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, "Colin Gowland" <colin-gowland@h...>

                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 3, 2000
                          > --Screw the Jibe- Next time, try an air 540 then crank the other
                          > way. Try that on your directional. He He

                          i saw flash in cabo verde... when he did crap like that it doesnt look
                          graceful... onlookers that didnt knwo kitesurfing thought he was riding
                          really strange and wodnering why he kept getting all twisted all the
                          time..... sure me and the other kitesurfers were impressed cause we know its
                          more difficult... but aesthetically its not nice
                        • Richard Maise
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 3, 2000
                            -Youre right, Flash's wakeboard style of riding sucks. He's not a
                            wakeboarder, He's a kiteflyer/ surfer. Lou W. said he has just
                            started using a wakeboard. Wakeboarding is'nt something you pick up
                            over night. It takes years to develop the tricks and "Style" Flash is
                            a great rider, but he has a long way to go on a wakeboard. Have you
                            ever seen Lou or Elliot ride? Once you do you probably will have a
                            change of opinion. The term aesthetic to me means pretty, or
                            beautiful, or something. You wont get that out of wakeboarding. What
                            you get is more like " HOLY SHIT! DID YOU SEE THAT ?"

                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 3, 2000
                              > -Youre right, Flash's wakeboard style of riding sucks. He's not a
                              > wakeboarder, He's a kiteflyer/ surfer.

                              actually i wasnt commenting on his wakestyle, he had a directional at the
                              time.

                              Lou W. said he has just
                              > started using a wakeboard. Wakeboarding is'nt something you pick up
                              > over night. It takes years to develop the tricks and "Style" Flash is
                              > a great rider, but he has a long way to go on a wakeboard. Have you
                              > ever seen Lou or Elliot ride? Once you do you probably will have a
                              > change of opinion.

                              on video...looks like they go big and spin a lot... not much style though

                              The term aesthetic to me means pretty, or
                              > beautiful, or something. You wont get that out of wakeboarding. What
                              > you get is more like " HOLY SHIT! DID YOU SEE THAT ?"

                              EXACTLY !! this is what I mean... aesthetic means that people look at it
                              and have pleasure from the view... wakeboarding or kitesurfing with a
                              wakeboard is much more "in your face" ! i saw a guy on a JL PFork spin 4-5
                              times (cant count that fast).. you see it and you go DAMN ! but he landed
                              in a big splash and it didnt look graceful... its like bungee jumping in
                              the xgames and gymnastics... in the first one you are impressed by the balls
                              the guy has, in the second you are impressed with the coordination of
                              movements in the air and the soft perfect landings.

                              I much prefer to see Franz Olry do a VERY SLOW single loop with a lazy grab
                              and a feather soft landing than see the triple spin on a wakeboard....

                              and i like to jibe...but as I always say, to each their own... (its like
                              comparing carving a smooth turn on a smooth powdery slope on a snowboard or
                              watching a guy do triple flips at a big air contest)