Re: STAMOS 8m

  • psszi@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2000
      hey Saul

      I have testflown the 6.0 Stamos and it defintely pulls less than the
      5.7 WF BUT it is SO easy to turn, almost no force required (2-lined!).

      I would suspect that the 8.0 STamos has a little more power than a
      waterfoil 5.7

      The condoms at the airinlets are not a good soulution compared to
      the wf "socks"

      try the 5.7 WF with my pulley bar (posted 2 or 3 days ago) and 40
      meter Lines, keep brakelines slack, you will be impressed in terms
      of speed and power.

      Can you describe how you did set up the depower System? did you mount
      it on the briddle or did you add a seperate briddle for the depower
      system?

      Goodwinds

      Paul

      --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, "Saul Davies" <mesbdavi@s...> wrote:

      > Hi - I currently fly waterfoils, but don't really enjoy the feeling
      > of having two buses hanging off my arms even when moderately
      powered
      > up (I've flown plenty of other foils that felt more comfortable for
      > the same sort of power), and the fact that they are really slow
      > (these coments apply to the 5.7 - I've got no problems with the
      3.6 -
      > fly it off a straight bar with no pulleys and can still turn it on
      > dime).
      >
      > Anyway I'm looking for a big light wind kite and am getting swayed
      > towards the STAMOS 8m what I want to know is does it pull well for
      > it's size? I'm quite light weight and don't really want to go into
      9m
      > territory 'cos I've heard it gets a bit dull anyway, I really want
      > kite that can still be moved around relatively easily and used for
      > jumping, but pulls significantly more than my WF 5.7 - otherwise I
      > can't really justify buying one!
      >
      > Any feedback would be appreciated.
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Saul
      >
      > PS - for the guy who was asking about mossie depower on other
      foils -
      > I've put it on my waterfoils and it does work but I generally only
      > use it to make life easier on the beach and before waterstarts, you
      > can't really ride in the chicken loop because the load fromm the
      kite
      > is coming from the other lines and you just can't hold the power
      for
      > very long (it's like riding out of the harness). You can however
      use
      > a strap to affect more permanent depowering, but the kite gets
      > gradually more sluggish as you deform it more - it does gives more
      > range than simply adjusting the back lines on a conventionaly set
      up
      > foil but at a guess not as much as 4-line sleds)
    • Saul Davies
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2000
        --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, psszi@h... wrote:
        > hey Saul
        >
        > I have testflown the 6.0 Stamos and it defintely pulls less than the
        > 5.7 WF BUT it is SO easy to turn, almost no force required (2-
        lined!).

        > I would suspect that the 8.0 STamos has a little more power than a
        > waterfoil 5.7
        >
        > The condoms at the airinlets are not a good soulution compared to
        > the wf "socks"
        >
        > try the 5.7 WF with my pulley bar (posted 2 or 3 days ago) and 40
        > meter Lines, keep brakelines slack, you will be impressed in terms
        > of speed and power.
        >
        > Can you describe how you did set up the depower System? did you
        mount
        > it on the briddle or did you add a seperate briddle for the depower
        > system?

        Thanks for the info

        I set up the depower system exactly as shown on the windtools website
        (www.windtools.com) you have to add the extra bidling yourself (and
        play around a bit until you get the right dimensions) but it's hardly
        rocket science. I may try implementing the power-braking sysytem but
        at the kite end rather than the bar end - this means I'll still be
        able to use the depower system - someone posted it a while back and
        in principle it's exactly the same system.

        Saul