Anyone Having Fun in Under 8 knots / 9 Mph?

  • bnow@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2000
      Hi

      Are you guys with big sleds, (15.5 on up), having fun in under 8
      knots / 9 Mph of wind? Can you generate enough pull to jump in that
      low of wind, or are you just able to get up and plane? I have seen
      guys ripping it up on 15.5's in 14 knots, but I was wondering about
      that low range.

      Scott
    • David Trewern
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2000
        I can stay upwind, and get average jumps / spins in steady 10 knots with my
        13.5.

        (measured with my wind meter).

        If it's less than 10 knots, I either stay home or go for a nice down-winder.

        The lightest wind I have been able plane is probably 4-5knots. This wasn't
        much fun, and I had had crashed the kite I would been swimming for sure.

        DT
      • paul menta
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2000
          I use my 16.0 in 8 and 9 and can stay up wind and if i load real hard and
          fly into the other window, ican can get some good jump. The main point is i
          can still get out and ride,its nice to just ride(hopeing for a big gust),and
          just enjoying it!

          Paul www.kitesurftheearth.com

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2000
            --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, bnow@e... wrote:
            > Hi
            >
            > Are you guys with big sleds, (15.5 on up), having fun in under 8
            > knots / 9 Mph of wind? Can you generate enough pull to jump in
            that

            8-9 knots is only planing conditions only for my Wipi 16M. Its fun to
            get out but the only jumps I could get were about 2 feet and I would
            end going down wind which would take a lot effort to regain my place
            up wind. Without any gusts it wasn't worth taking air.

            Later,

            Mike
            www.talonsport.com