Re: [ksurf] Wakeboard questions COM

  • Stefano
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 31, 2000
      , but the bi-directional will allow you not to have to figure out the whole jibing aspect

      am i the only one that thinks people woiuld do well to overcome their fear of jibing ?
    • Tom Rolf
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 31, 2000
        Glad you brought that up. Mel says he loves carving jibes, are you inferring the same and are there others out there that feel directionals are fun. I'm a dried up old windsurfer, who is thinking of buying my second board (moderate wind). Trying to decide between twin tip and directional. (Flat water, fluky desert winds sailor)
        Puzzled, Rigbig

        Stefano wrote:

        , but the bi-directional will allow you not to have to figure out the whole jibing aspect am i the only one that thinks people woiuld do well to overcome their fear of jibing ?

        The Kitesurf Group is sponsored by windTools  -
        The first foils with a real depower and safety System:  Stamos and Mosquito II Pro KS

        For more informations, please visit: www.windTools.com

      • Mark Frasier
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 31, 2000
          on 10/31/00 2:16 PM, Tom Rolf at rigbig@... wrote:

          > Glad you brought that up. Mel says he loves carving jibes, are you
          > inferring the same and are there others out there that feel directionals
          > are fun. I'm a dried up old windsurfer, who is thinking of buying my
          > second board (moderate wind). Trying to decide between twin tip and
          > directional. (Flat water, fluky desert winds sailor)
          > Puzzled, Rigbig

          Yeah, I love carving jibes. It's something fun to work on, too. Something
          you can never be too good at (at least for me). I would like to get a
          wakeboard as a second board, but I don't think I'd give up my directional.

          So far, it seems that I'm much faster on a directional than others are on
          wakeboards (by 30% or so, I'd guess). So if you like speed I'd say check out
          directionals. But maybe someone else will dispute that directionals are
          always faster.

          Mark Frasier
        • Richard Maise
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 31, 2000
            It's not fear, it's refraining from doing something you don't want to
            do, or have any desire doing.

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 31, 2000
              At 09:52 PM 10/31/2000 -0000, Richard Maise wrote:

              >It's not fear, it's refraining from doing something you don't want to
              >do, or have any desire doing.

              Geez, I wish you'd said that before I overcame my fear of jabbing a sharp
              stick in my eye! Hehe.

              I was thinking about it afterwards - the best part of a directional jibe,
              IMO, is the fast-planing carve part, where you lean out over the board and
              dig the new rail, jamming the kite back at a low angle and whipping around,
              during which I keep my feet on the board. I do the footswitch afterwards
              and that's not all that exciting :) It looks like you can do the same thing
              on a wakeboard and give the board a 180 spin after the turn to face the
              right direction again, instead of switching feet. Am I right? Or is that
              even more difficult than a footswitch?

              Mark Frasier
            • jeff_sturch@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 31, 2000
                It looks like you can do the same thing
                > on a wakeboard and give the board a 180 spin after the turn to face
                the
                > right direction again, instead of switching feet. Am I right?

                YAH.. you can do it.. and it is easy. its called cutting from
                heelside to toeside then throwing in a bunnyhop 180

                Or is that
                > even more difficult than a footswitch?

                Easier,as long as you can ride switch

                > Mark Frasier

                js
              • OneWithWind@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 31, 2000
                  Richard,
                  I notice from your roadrunner address that you're from tampa also. Where do
                  you surf at? There are a few of us who usualy surf treasure island on
                  saturdays and sundays. This weekend is the StPete sail expo where tackle
                  shack is sposed to be hosting a kitesurfing event. I hope I'll see you out
                  there.
                  PEACE&WIND
                  Josh Young
                  OneWithWind@...
                • Stefano
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000

                    Glad you brought that up. Mel says he loves carving jibes, are you inferring the same and are there others out there that feel directionals are fun. I'm a dried up old windsurfer, who is thinking of buying my second board (moderate wind). Trying to decide between twin tip and directional. (Flat water, fluky desert winds sailor)
                    Puzzled, Rigbig

                    I love to rip hard laydown jibes... especially around my dog as he runs around in 1 foot of water near shore...

                    the directionals still whoop ass for riding down a wave (ask Raphael Salles and the people riding waves in california)

                    to each their own but for me spinning just makes me dizzy... and the twintip slide and change direction (not jibing) is kind of ugly
                  • Corey
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
                      --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, "Stefano" <stefano.rosso@i...> wrote:

                      > I love to rip hard laydown jibes... especially around my dog as
                      he runs around in 1 foot of water near shore...

                      > the directionals still whoop ass for riding down a wave (ask
                      Raphael Salles and the people riding waves in california)

                      It's funny, I saw Raphael Salles this weekend. Both during the
                      competion and during his free time his was riding one of his new
                      wakebaords and we had a good 6 foot swell going off!
                    • alexportman@excite.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 28, 2000
                        started riding on a directional......20+ hours later in about 20
                        knots of wind I tried my wakeboard........anyboby want to buy a
                        directional board. Hopefully Santa will bring me a pickle-fork for
                        Christmas.