STAMOS 8m

  • Saul Davies
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2000
      Hi - I currently fly waterfoils, but don't really enjoy the feeling
      of having two buses hanging off my arms even when moderately powered
      up (I've flown plenty of other foils that felt more comfortable for
      the same sort of power), and the fact that they are really slow
      (these coments apply to the 5.7 - I've got no problems with the 3.6 -
      fly it off a straight bar with no pulleys and can still turn it on a
      dime).

      Anyway I'm looking for a big light wind kite and am getting swayed
      towards the STAMOS 8m what I want to know is does it pull well for
      it's size? I'm quite light weight and don't really want to go into 9m
      territory 'cos I've heard it gets a bit dull anyway, I really want a
      kite that can still be moved around relatively easily and used for
      jumping, but pulls significantly more than my WF 5.7 - otherwise I
      can't really justify buying one!

      Any feedback would be appreciated.

      Cheers

      Saul

      PS - for the guy who was asking about mossie depower on other foils -
      I've put it on my waterfoils and it does work but I generally only
      use it to make life easier on the beach and before waterstarts, you
      can't really ride in the chicken loop because the load fromm the kite
      is coming from the other lines and you just can't hold the power for
      very long (it's like riding out of the harness). You can however use
      a strap to affect more permanent depowering, but the kite gets
      gradually more sluggish as you deform it more - it does gives more
      range than simply adjusting the back lines on a conventionaly set up
      foil but at a guess not as much as 4-line sleds)
    • psszi@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2000
        hey Saul

        I have testflown the 6.0 Stamos and it defintely pulls less than the
        5.7 WF BUT it is SO easy to turn, almost no force required (2-lined!).

        I would suspect that the 8.0 STamos has a little more power than a
        waterfoil 5.7

        The condoms at the airinlets are not a good soulution compared to
        the wf "socks"

        try the 5.7 WF with my pulley bar (posted 2 or 3 days ago) and 40
        meter Lines, keep brakelines slack, you will be impressed in terms
        of speed and power.

        Can you describe how you did set up the depower System? did you mount
        it on the briddle or did you add a seperate briddle for the depower
        system?

        Goodwinds

        Paul

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2000
          --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, psszi@h... wrote:
          > hey Saul
          >
          > I have testflown the 6.0 Stamos and it defintely pulls less than the
          > 5.7 WF BUT it is SO easy to turn, almost no force required (2-
          lined!).

          > I would suspect that the 8.0 STamos has a little more power than a
          > waterfoil 5.7
          >
          > The condoms at the airinlets are not a good soulution compared to
          > the wf "socks"
          >
          > try the 5.7 WF with my pulley bar (posted 2 or 3 days ago) and 40
          > meter Lines, keep brakelines slack, you will be impressed in terms
          > of speed and power.
          >
          > Can you describe how you did set up the depower System? did you
          mount
          > it on the briddle or did you add a seperate briddle for the depower
          > system?

          Thanks for the info

          I set up the depower system exactly as shown on the windtools website
          (www.windtools.com) you have to add the extra bidling yourself (and
          play around a bit until you get the right dimensions) but it's hardly
          rocket science. I may try implementing the power-braking sysytem but
          at the kite end rather than the bar end - this means I'll still be
          able to use the depower system - someone posted it a while back and
          in principle it's exactly the same system.

          Saul