Re: arc and stamos 8.0 and new wave 9.3 test reports

  • Greg Walsh
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 9, 2000
      Hi Stefano

      --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, "Stefano Rosso" <stefano.rosso@i...>
      wrote:
      > wind was medium rare all weekend - 6-10 knots - but enough to test
      some kites

      > new wave 9.3 - ran it side by side with a mosquito 9. NW was on
      >longer lines (40 instead of 30 for the mossie) - the wind sucked on
      >saturday and it was dead onshore too... still managed to get some
      >rides with directionals and mossie 9 and new wave 9.3 (a friend was
      >riding it, I am starting to get some kitesurfing company).... the
      >mossie seems to have a bigger power surge but lost power in the side
      >of the window

      In light winds all kites lose power at the side of the window
      (although not necessarily to the same degree). You need to turn it
      back into the zone to keep power up. That's why 4-line foils are so
      good underpowered. You can turn them so fast before they get out of
      the zone that you can keep them powered up. Conversely if you let
      them get too far out of the window then braking to turn seems to wash
      off power and slow the whole thing down.

      >(it was two lined so that may be the reason)... the NW had a more
      snip
      >wind picks up. The 3 line system adds a little more power too... -

      How does 3-lining add power? When I fly my 3-line CA WaveEx it is
      really a 2-line with the 3rd line for braking and trim adjustment.
      True when I trim it slower it generates more power and parks in the
      window better but it also turns slower if it gets out of the power
      zone. If there's very light wind I trim the kite faster so it has
      more energy for faster turns. The kite generates less power but it
      provides it more consistently. The presence of the 3rd line alone
      doesn't add power.

      Regards

      Greg