Re: [ksurf] Digest Number 407

  • Paul Watson & Debra Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2000
      You maybe better of tring to make a Trident of that size using the
      foilmaker software that is free off of the internet. It is supposed
      to be a better performing kite than the C Quad but with a simular C
      shape. Look through the Foildesign forum on Trident. They have a
      pattern for a 2.2m. Allot of scaling I know but with the software it
      should not be that hard. I think the worst would be the bridal like
      you said.

      Chris

      G'day Federico and Chris,

      As the designer of the Trident, let me say thank you for the compliment!
      However, the T does not necessarily perform better than the C-Quad and is a
      different sort of kite (although it is a hybrid too). The 2.6 was designed
      as a buggy speed kite and has a fairly thin aerofoil (although I have
      ksurfed with it). For kitesurfing you are better off with a thicker profile
      and the larger sizes require a slightly different bridle. I have made them
      up to about 5m2 (more power than a 5.7 Waterfoil) and someone is making a
      7.5 at the moment. Email me off-list if you have any more questions about
      the Trident.

      BTW: C-Quads don't cost a heap (comparatively) and most people are usually
      better off buying. The best reason to build is out of curiosity and
      interest. Expect to make many mistakes and finish with a kite that might
      still have some problems if you are a first time builder. Many people who
      build just for the sake of saving money are often disappointed in my
      experience. Those who build for the love of it get HUGE satisfaction of
      flying a kite they made themselves! :-)

      Smooth Winds,

      Paul Watson
      algen@...