arc report

  • Elijah Chancey
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7 1:10 PM
      I just got back from the beach with about 5 hours on the arc (8m/11m).

      I'm still very much astounded by the upwind performance as it blows
      away a c-quad.

      The wind was about 11 gusting to 18 mph. It started out side on-shore
      but moved out to between offshore and side off-shore. I wasnt able to
      get up on the board much (actually i used to do it all the time on a
      c-quad 6.3 but LE was broken for about 7 weeks) since I haven't
      kitesurfed in a while. Anyways I lost the board (pl foil board; no
      leash) quite a few times and was able to hook in the harness (q-
      harness; wouldn't stay tight, almost crushed nuts twice) and was able
      to use my hand to point upwind and the kite (I swear this thing has
      incredibly upwind abilities) would pull me upwind of the board so I
      could get back to it. Anyways by this time I realize that I'm about
      1000 feet offshore and blowing out to the sea). I somehow lose the
      board again and use the kite to pull me in to the beach. My
      kitesurfing buddy (german exchange brother, not too much kiting
      experience) decided to quit kite buggying and just lays down and
      falls asleep. Anyways I could have used his help but I was able to
      get some random stranger to stand on the edge of the kite while I
      swim out for my board. Was about 6-7 minutes each way. I was quite
      exhausted when I got back to the beach. Anyways I had my walk of
      shame back up the beach.

      After that I took a nap on the beach. I woke up with slightly more
      wind, sideshore. I didn't go back out and kite surf anymore (don't
      ask why, I don't remember). I just used my pl buggy and struggled to
      stay in the buggy because when I gained to much speed I was pulled
      out (side frames not quite high enough) due to increase in apparent
      wind speed. Anyways it was quite fun...can't wait to buy another
      smaller one for buggying.

      I also did some jumping. The landings were always very very soft
      which was nice. Biggest jump was probably about 10 feet 30-40 feet
      downwind. Great for crowd pleasing as the jumps were nice and slow
      with great landings.