Re: [ksurf] Too much wind...

  • David Trewern
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 1, 2000
      on 2/10/00 10:57 AM, KiteBoard@... at KiteBoard@... wrote:

      > david@... writes:
      >
      > << I went out with the Naish 5.0 as the wind had backed off to 18-27knots. >>
      >
      > This seems odd, since even at only 62kg (135lb) I'm still having fun in 25
      > knots with my 7.5 AR5 (can barely handle 30), although that is a big range,
      > going all the way down to 18. I'm curious what you weigh, & what's your next
      > size up from the 5.0?

      Next size up is 7.5. There was no way I was taking that out, as the stronger
      squalls coming through were pretty strong. I had already witnessed one of
      the most experienced kitesurfers I know getting blown halfway out into the
      bay - he nearly lost his kite.

      If it was 25knots and perfectly consistent - I may have considered the 7.5.

      It was a kitesurfing demo day - and I was the only person out because the
      wind was pretty crazy. The wind meter said 18-27knots - but it seemed pretty
      scary despite this.

      There was someone kitesurfing with a tiny 2 line stunt kite!
    • Drew Murphy
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2000
        --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, KiteBoard@a... wrote:
        > This seems odd, since even at only 62kg (135lb) I'm still having
        fun in 25
        > knots with my 7.5 AR5 (can barely handle 30), although that is a
        big range,
        > going all the way down to 18. I'm curious what you weigh, & what's
        your next
        > size up from the 5.0?

        Sounds like more of a case of how people call wind strength more than
        anything... for example I'm 80kg, and I use my only kite (AR3.5 5m2)
        in anything from "what I call" 15 knots upwards. At 25 knots it is
        starting to get crazy...
        As an indicator, whitecaps start at around what I call 12 knots.
      • KiteBoard@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 1, 2000
          In a message dated 10/1/00 5:36:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
          david@... writes:

          << The wind meter said 18-27knots >>

          That reminds me of back when we came to the conclusion that not only are the
          meters sometimes off, but that different temp, pressure, & humidity could
          have a pretty big effect on the force.

          Mel
        • David Trewern
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 1, 2000
            > That reminds me of back when we came to the conclusion that not only are the
            > meters sometimes off, but that different temp, pressure, & humidity could
            > have a pretty big effect on the force.

            I agree - it was bloddy cold - which made it feel pretty strong.

            I have held my wind meter out the car window (just like they tell you not
            to) and it matched the speedo almost exactly (on a calm day). I think it's
            pretty accurate.

            Before I pulled the windmeter out, I would have guessed it was 25-30 at
            least...

            It was weird to see 18 knots on the meter at times - but I am pretty sure it
            was right.
          • kennyfarnsworth@cs.com

              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 1, 2000
                on 2/10/00 12:43 PM, kennyfarnsworth@... at kennyfarnsworth@... wrote:

                > I bet his 5.0 is a two line. If he converted it to 4, he would have much
                > more range.

                It was 4 line - and I could have handled more wind...

                I weight about 83kg
              • David Trewern
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 1, 2000
                  on 2/10/00 4:20 PM, Raul F Argilagos at offdalip@... wrote:

                  > These guys actually use less responsive kites in those conditions.......

                  So is a 2 line classic the only option?
                • Raul F Argilagos
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 1, 2000
                    These guys actually use less responsive kites in those conditions.......

                    Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
                    http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                  • Steve McCormack
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 2, 2000
                      Hi Dave
                      Why not try putting the bridle back on you AR3.5 and use a shorter bar with
                      it (just slide the leaders inwards on the stock bar to find a compromise)?
                      That was my son Goshen kitesurfing at Pt Henry in those crazy winds you had
                      there, it was a .8M "Dwing" from Leading Edge kites. He said it was the only
                      thing he had that was small enough to hang onto in the gusts. The only
                      reason he tried was because the local paper turned up for a photo shoot, he
                      says they got some reasonable shots and hopefully will make a prominent spot
                      in the paper.
                      He also managed to get one last session in the snow last week too, said they
                      were getting some great airs and good photo's, some of which will appear in
                      the website when it is finished later this month. He is also in charge of
                      our website construction, so maybe I should lock up all his kites and
                      rockclimbing gear, so that the long saga of getting our new site up, is
                      over soon!!! :-) Cya and
                      Goodwinds
                      Steve McCormack
                      www.kitepower.com.au
                      sydney@...
                      126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, NSW, Australia 2034.
                      Ph/Fax 02 9315 7894 International +61293157894
                      386 Latrobe Terrace, Geelong, Victoria, Australia 3020
                      Ph/Fax 03 5229 5899 International +61352295899

                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 2, 2000
                        on 3/10/00 9:02 AM, Steve McCormack at sydney@... wrote:

                        > Hi Dave
                        > Why not try putting the bridle back on you AR3.5 and use a shorter bar with
                        > it (just slide the leaders inwards on the stock bar to find a compromise)?

                        I might do that - only thing is the 4-line set-up makes dealing with these
                        crazy winds so much easier. I would have had a much harder time on Sunday
                        with no ability to de-power in the gusts.

                        Either way I need a much shorter bar. I might chop the ends off my old Naish
                        bar - or even turn it into two bars!

                        It's a pity those Longhorns cost so much - I would love a tiny Longhorn -
                        but I would rather buy half a new board instead!

                        DT
                        ------------------------
                        D a v i d T r e w e r n D e s i g n

                        [i] www.dtdesign.com
                        [e] david@...
                        [t] +613 9429 2799
                        [f] +613 9429 8706
                      • TIGANAISH@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 9, 2000
                          I just spent a week at Kite Beach on Maui. All of the pros-Lou, Elliot,
                          Julie, Ann, etc.-are all on two lines with their smaller kites. They also
                          use very small bars, about 18". I tried a smaller bar while I was there with
                          my 5.0 Wipika and it worked much better! The kite was much easier to hold in
                          position where you wanted it to be without the "over"responsiveness.
                          Kurtis