Re: [ksurf] kiting by yourself

  • David Trewern
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2000
      on 2/10/00 12:42 AM, Dwight & Jacky at fishersfort@... wrote:

      > Bring it down to the side of the window. When it gets near the beach crash
      > it nose down, then deploy the leash so it spins and stretches the kite out
      > in a way the leaves it nose into the wind.
      >
      > Another way is to crash it in the water and pull the safety leash and
      > attached line in until you reach the kite. The first method is best.
      >
      > Dwight

      I find it better to deploy the leash when the kite is a few meters of the
      ground, at the edge of the window (is this what you mean Dwight?). That way,
      the leading edge is facing the wind by the time the kite lands on the
      ground, and there is less chance of the kite getting blown back into the
      middle of the window. It's a pretty reliable way of landing the kite. I have
      landed the kite on a tiny beach just big enough for the kite to fit before
      (when I needed to).

      To do this, you have to land the kite on the opposite side to your leash.

      DT
    • KiteBoard@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2000
        If there is surf, I find it best to land nose down just in front of the
        whitewater (after the wave breaks, NOT in the impact zone!) then carry the
        bar as you run down to grab it before it reaches the wet sand. With "normal"
        lines (not Q-Power) you should quickly move back so the lines can't get
        become "macrame" in the surf.

        Mel
      • Dwight & Jacky
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2000

          > I find it better to deploy the leash when the kite is a few meters of the
          > ground, at the edge of the window (is this what you mean Dwight?).

          Yep. I'm not a very good teacher. I just do it rather quickly all at once.