Re: [ksurf] kiting by yourself

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2000
      I use my safety leash - sliding type - to land unassisted. Fly to edge,
      preferably over water. You stay in the water too. Make sure the arc is
      clear to straight downwind. unhook safety leash and hold it in hand. drop
      the bar. In strong winds - 15.5 and 20 mph avg - this works for me. The
      kite spreads out and drops then flutters to straight downwind. I then
      follow the safety leash line hand over hand to the kite and sand it while I
      roll up the lines. I have no problem hanging on to the flying line bare
      handed when the kite is stretched out even as I say with the 15.5 in 20 - 30
      mph gusts.

      If I don't have a catcher that's what I do.

      Steve
      Carson City, Nevada USA

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2000
        on 2/10/00 12:42 AM, Dwight & Jacky at fishersfort@... wrote:

        > Bring it down to the side of the window. When it gets near the beach crash
        > it nose down, then deploy the leash so it spins and stretches the kite out
        > in a way the leaves it nose into the wind.
        >
        > Another way is to crash it in the water and pull the safety leash and
        > attached line in until you reach the kite. The first method is best.
        >
        > Dwight

        I find it better to deploy the leash when the kite is a few meters of the
        ground, at the edge of the window (is this what you mean Dwight?). That way,
        the leading edge is facing the wind by the time the kite lands on the
        ground, and there is less chance of the kite getting blown back into the
        middle of the window. It's a pretty reliable way of landing the kite. I have
        landed the kite on a tiny beach just big enough for the kite to fit before
        (when I needed to).

        To do this, you have to land the kite on the opposite side to your leash.

        DT
      • KiteBoard@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2000
          If there is surf, I find it best to land nose down just in front of the
          whitewater (after the wave breaks, NOT in the impact zone!) then carry the
          bar as you run down to grab it before it reaches the wet sand. With "normal"
          lines (not Q-Power) you should quickly move back so the lines can't get
          become "macrame" in the surf.

          Mel
        • Dwight & Jacky
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2000

            > I find it better to deploy the leash when the kite is a few meters of the
            > ground, at the edge of the window (is this what you mean Dwight?).

            Yep. I'm not a very good teacher. I just do it rather quickly all at once.