Re: [ksurf] kiting by yourself

  • kitesrfer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2000
      If you have enough clear beach and preferably a ridge to drop and stall the
      kite behind solo landing techniques on land may be a good approach. If your
      wind is light to moderate, flying the kite down to the beach as close to the
      wind as possible then landing it on the leading edge followed by a quick
      pulling of one set of lines to pivot the leading edge perpendicular to the
      wind works well. Just be prepared to rapidly repeat the landing if it takes
      off again suddenly. If your shore is rocky, narrow or otherwise hostile to
      solo kite landings, your best bet is to land it over the water. You will no
      doubt develop a preferred solo landing technique best suited to your beach
      and wind characteristics.

      As to instructional videos, there is Ken Winner's "How to Rip Harder",
      http://kenwinner.com/video-02.asp
      otherwise you can view and glean what you can off general high end
      kitesurfing entertainment videos such as are available at as well as other
      online sources:
      http://www.kitesurfing.com/Accessories/Videos/videos.html
      The Powerzone and High as a Kite are personal favorites.

      Good luck,
      Rick
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2000
        I use my safety leash - sliding type - to land unassisted. Fly to edge,
        preferably over water. You stay in the water too. Make sure the arc is
        clear to straight downwind. unhook safety leash and hold it in hand. drop
        the bar. In strong winds - 15.5 and 20 mph avg - this works for me. The
        kite spreads out and drops then flutters to straight downwind. I then
        follow the safety leash line hand over hand to the kite and sand it while I
        roll up the lines. I have no problem hanging on to the flying line bare
        handed when the kite is stretched out even as I say with the 15.5 in 20 - 30
        mph gusts.

        If I don't have a catcher that's what I do.

        Steve
        Carson City, Nevada USA

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2000
          on 2/10/00 12:42 AM, Dwight & Jacky at fishersfort@... wrote:

          > Bring it down to the side of the window. When it gets near the beach crash
          > it nose down, then deploy the leash so it spins and stretches the kite out
          > in a way the leaves it nose into the wind.
          >
          > Another way is to crash it in the water and pull the safety leash and
          > attached line in until you reach the kite. The first method is best.
          >
          > Dwight

          I find it better to deploy the leash when the kite is a few meters of the
          ground, at the edge of the window (is this what you mean Dwight?). That way,
          the leading edge is facing the wind by the time the kite lands on the
          ground, and there is less chance of the kite getting blown back into the
          middle of the window. It's a pretty reliable way of landing the kite. I have
          landed the kite on a tiny beach just big enough for the kite to fit before
          (when I needed to).

          To do this, you have to land the kite on the opposite side to your leash.

          DT
        • KiteBoard@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2000
            If there is surf, I find it best to land nose down just in front of the
            whitewater (after the wave breaks, NOT in the impact zone!) then carry the
            bar as you run down to grab it before it reaches the wet sand. With "normal"
            lines (not Q-Power) you should quickly move back so the lines can't get
            become "macrame" in the surf.

            Mel
          • Dwight & Jacky
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2000

              > I find it better to deploy the leash when the kite is a few meters of the
              > ground, at the edge of the window (is this what you mean Dwight?).

              Yep. I'm not a very good teacher. I just do it rather quickly all at once.