Re: [ksurf] kiting by yourself

  • Dwight & Jacky
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2000
      Bring it down to the side of the window. When it gets near the beach crash
      it nose down, then deploy the leash so it spins and stretches the kite out
      in a way the leaves it nose into the wind.

      Another way is to crash it in the water and pull the safety leash and
      attached line in until you reach the kite. The first method is best.

      Dwight

    • kennyfarnsworth@cs.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2000
        The first method is fine if the wind is steady and you know what you are
        doing. The second method is safer and should be used if the winds are gusty
        or you are a beginner.

      • kitesrfer@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2000
          If you have enough clear beach and preferably a ridge to drop and stall the
          kite behind solo landing techniques on land may be a good approach. If your
          wind is light to moderate, flying the kite down to the beach as close to the
          wind as possible then landing it on the leading edge followed by a quick
          pulling of one set of lines to pivot the leading edge perpendicular to the
          wind works well. Just be prepared to rapidly repeat the landing if it takes
          off again suddenly. If your shore is rocky, narrow or otherwise hostile to
          solo kite landings, your best bet is to land it over the water. You will no
          doubt develop a preferred solo landing technique best suited to your beach
          and wind characteristics.

          As to instructional videos, there is Ken Winner's "How to Rip Harder",
          http://kenwinner.com/video-02.asp
          otherwise you can view and glean what you can off general high end
          kitesurfing entertainment videos such as are available at as well as other
          online sources:
          http://www.kitesurfing.com/Accessories/Videos/videos.html
          The Powerzone and High as a Kite are personal favorites.

          Good luck,
          Rick
        • Steve
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2000
            I use my safety leash - sliding type - to land unassisted. Fly to edge,
            preferably over water. You stay in the water too. Make sure the arc is
            clear to straight downwind. unhook safety leash and hold it in hand. drop
            the bar. In strong winds - 15.5 and 20 mph avg - this works for me. The
            kite spreads out and drops then flutters to straight downwind. I then
            follow the safety leash line hand over hand to the kite and sand it while I
            roll up the lines. I have no problem hanging on to the flying line bare
            handed when the kite is stretched out even as I say with the 15.5 in 20 - 30
            mph gusts.

            If I don't have a catcher that's what I do.

            Steve
            Carson City, Nevada USA

            >9 times out of ten I am out there by myself. I don't like it but
            >thats the way this place is off season. Anyway whats the best way to
            >safely come back to the beach and put my AR5 away by myself. this
            >beach has no buildings on it and is pretty flat. Is there a trick to
            >stopping the kite?

          • David Trewern
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2000
              on 2/10/00 12:42 AM, Dwight & Jacky at fishersfort@... wrote:

              > Bring it down to the side of the window. When it gets near the beach crash
              > it nose down, then deploy the leash so it spins and stretches the kite out
              > in a way the leaves it nose into the wind.
              >
              > Another way is to crash it in the water and pull the safety leash and
              > attached line in until you reach the kite. The first method is best.
              >
              > Dwight

              I find it better to deploy the leash when the kite is a few meters of the
              ground, at the edge of the window (is this what you mean Dwight?). That way,
              the leading edge is facing the wind by the time the kite lands on the
              ground, and there is less chance of the kite getting blown back into the
              middle of the window. It's a pretty reliable way of landing the kite. I have
              landed the kite on a tiny beach just big enough for the kite to fit before
              (when I needed to).

              To do this, you have to land the kite on the opposite side to your leash.

              DT
            • KiteBoard@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 2000
                If there is surf, I find it best to land nose down just in front of the
                whitewater (after the wave breaks, NOT in the impact zone!) then carry the
                bar as you run down to grab it before it reaches the wet sand. With "normal"
                lines (not Q-Power) you should quickly move back so the lines can't get
                become "macrame" in the surf.

                Mel
              • Dwight & Jacky
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 1, 2000

                  > I find it better to deploy the leash when the kite is a few meters of the
                  > ground, at the edge of the window (is this what you mean Dwight?).

                  Yep. I'm not a very good teacher. I just do it rather quickly all at once.