Re: [ksurf] Too much wind...

  • Dwight & Jacky
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 1 6:32 AM
      I have the 4.5 and 5.5. They jump just like the 9.5. They actually jump
      better, but the jerk on lift off is more violent. I usually just ride for
      awhile while I adjust to the quicker kite. After 30 minutes, I'm usually
      comfortable and ready to start jumping.

      I don't know what the AR3.5 is like.

      Dwight

    • KiteBoard@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1 4:57 PM
        david@... writes:

        << I went out with the Naish 5.0 as the wind had backed off to 18-27knots. >>

        This seems odd, since even at only 62kg (135lb) I'm still having fun in 25
        knots with my 7.5 AR5 (can barely handle 30), although that is a big range,
        going all the way down to 18. I'm curious what you weigh, & what's your next
        size up from the 5.0?

        AND fishersfort@... writes:

        << I feel the same way. Blowing 30 here, and gusty. I hate the thought of
        digging out my wave gear. Mast base is probably seized up by now from only
        using it once all summer. >>

        That reminds me of a dream I had last night that I "had" to windsurf after a
        good kiteboarding session (can't remember the reason). I was thinking to
        myself "If I try not to think about jibing I'll probably do okay". Funny
        thing is I was using an old speed needle! In reality I haven't windsurfed
        once since I started kiteboarding. I would have (once!) but my sailbag
        zipper was corroded shut!

        Mel
      • David Trewern
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 1 5:36 PM
          on 2/10/00 10:57 AM, KiteBoard@... at KiteBoard@... wrote:

          > david@... writes:
          >
          > << I went out with the Naish 5.0 as the wind had backed off to 18-27knots. >>
          >
          > This seems odd, since even at only 62kg (135lb) I'm still having fun in 25
          > knots with my 7.5 AR5 (can barely handle 30), although that is a big range,
          > going all the way down to 18. I'm curious what you weigh, & what's your next
          > size up from the 5.0?

          Next size up is 7.5. There was no way I was taking that out, as the stronger
          squalls coming through were pretty strong. I had already witnessed one of
          the most experienced kitesurfers I know getting blown halfway out into the
          bay - he nearly lost his kite.

          If it was 25knots and perfectly consistent - I may have considered the 7.5.

          It was a kitesurfing demo day - and I was the only person out because the
          wind was pretty crazy. The wind meter said 18-27knots - but it seemed pretty
          scary despite this.

          There was someone kitesurfing with a tiny 2 line stunt kite!
        • Drew Murphy
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 1 5:42 PM
            --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, KiteBoard@a... wrote:
            > This seems odd, since even at only 62kg (135lb) I'm still having
            fun in 25
            > knots with my 7.5 AR5 (can barely handle 30), although that is a
            big range,
            > going all the way down to 18. I'm curious what you weigh, & what's
            your next
            > size up from the 5.0?

            Sounds like more of a case of how people call wind strength more than
            anything... for example I'm 80kg, and I use my only kite (AR3.5 5m2)
            in anything from "what I call" 15 knots upwards. At 25 knots it is
            starting to get crazy...
            As an indicator, whitecaps start at around what I call 12 knots.
          • KiteBoard@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 1 5:43 PM
              In a message dated 10/1/00 5:36:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
              david@... writes:

              << The wind meter said 18-27knots >>

              That reminds me of back when we came to the conclusion that not only are the
              meters sometimes off, but that different temp, pressure, & humidity could
              have a pretty big effect on the force.

              Mel
            • David Trewern
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 1 5:51 PM
                > That reminds me of back when we came to the conclusion that not only are the
                > meters sometimes off, but that different temp, pressure, & humidity could
                > have a pretty big effect on the force.

                I agree - it was bloddy cold - which made it feel pretty strong.

                I have held my wind meter out the car window (just like they tell you not
                to) and it matched the speedo almost exactly (on a calm day). I think it's
                pretty accurate.

                Before I pulled the windmeter out, I would have guessed it was 25-30 at
                least...

                It was weird to see 18 knots on the meter at times - but I am pretty sure it
                was right.
              • kennyfarnsworth@cs.com

                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 1 6:46 PM
                    on 2/10/00 12:43 PM, kennyfarnsworth@... at kennyfarnsworth@... wrote:

                    > I bet his 5.0 is a two line. If he converted it to 4, he would have much
                    > more range.

                    It was 4 line - and I could have handled more wind...

                    I weight about 83kg
                  • David Trewern
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 1 7:00 PM
                      on 2/10/00 4:20 PM, Raul F Argilagos at offdalip@... wrote:

                      > These guys actually use less responsive kites in those conditions.......

                      So is a 2 line classic the only option?
                    • Raul F Argilagos
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 1 10:20 PM
                        These guys actually use less responsive kites in those conditions.......

                        Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
                        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                      • Steve McCormack
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 2 3:02 PM
                          Hi Dave
                          Why not try putting the bridle back on you AR3.5 and use a shorter bar with
                          it (just slide the leaders inwards on the stock bar to find a compromise)?
                          That was my son Goshen kitesurfing at Pt Henry in those crazy winds you had
                          there, it was a .8M "Dwing" from Leading Edge kites. He said it was the only
                          thing he had that was small enough to hang onto in the gusts. The only
                          reason he tried was because the local paper turned up for a photo shoot, he
                          says they got some reasonable shots and hopefully will make a prominent spot
                          in the paper.
                          He also managed to get one last session in the snow last week too, said they
                          were getting some great airs and good photo's, some of which will appear in
                          the website when it is finished later this month. He is also in charge of
                          our website construction, so maybe I should lock up all his kites and
                          rockclimbing gear, so that the long saga of getting our new site up, is
                          over soon!!! :-) Cya and
                          Goodwinds
                          Steve McCormack
                          www.kitepower.com.au
                          sydney@...
                          126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, NSW, Australia 2034.
                          Ph/Fax 02 9315 7894 International +61293157894
                          386 Latrobe Terrace, Geelong, Victoria, Australia 3020
                          Ph/Fax 03 5229 5899 International +61352295899

                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 2 3:17 PM
                            on 3/10/00 9:02 AM, Steve McCormack at sydney@... wrote:

                            > Hi Dave
                            > Why not try putting the bridle back on you AR3.5 and use a shorter bar with
                            > it (just slide the leaders inwards on the stock bar to find a compromise)?

                            I might do that - only thing is the 4-line set-up makes dealing with these
                            crazy winds so much easier. I would have had a much harder time on Sunday
                            with no ability to de-power in the gusts.

                            Either way I need a much shorter bar. I might chop the ends off my old Naish
                            bar - or even turn it into two bars!

                            It's a pity those Longhorns cost so much - I would love a tiny Longhorn -
                            but I would rather buy half a new board instead!

                            DT
                            ------------------------
                            D a v i d T r e w e r n D e s i g n

                            [i] www.dtdesign.com
                            [e] david@...
                            [t] +613 9429 2799
                            [f] +613 9429 8706
                          • TIGANAISH@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 9 11:51 PM
                              I just spent a week at Kite Beach on Maui. All of the pros-Lou, Elliot,
                              Julie, Ann, etc.-are all on two lines with their smaller kites. They also
                              use very small bars, about 18". I tried a smaller bar while I was there with
                              my 5.0 Wipika and it worked much better! The kite was much easier to hold in
                              position where you wanted it to be without the "over"responsiveness.
                              Kurtis