Re: Kitesurf in the Canaries

  • S.Tonini
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2000
      If you do end up on Fuerteventura, and really want to push the
      limits, go to Sotavento.

      It's about 1 hour 10 mins south of Flag Beach, offshore wind,
      regularly 40-50 knots. No one kitesurfs there (I did for two weeks,
      the only one!), lots of windsurfers, and a weary rescue team from the
      windsurfing school located on the beach (Rene Egli's school).

      The school has a jet boat, but won't even let you out unless you
      demonstrate proficiency with the sport (ie can sail upwind, and no
      distuption of the windsurfers).

      The beach has ample launching space, provided the tide is low - high
      tide requires water-launching.

      Not exactly the kind of place I would recommend for kitesurfing, but
      a real rush to fly around in those winds. Worth all the
      warnings/hassles.

      Oh, stay away from the interior "lagoon" that develops during high
      tide, there are SEVERAL very shallow spots.

      Steve