Re: [ksurf] Too much wind...

  • David Trewern
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 1, 2000
      I went out with the Naish 5.0 as the wind had backed off to 18-27knots.

      I have never really used a small kite before - how the hell do you jump
      these things?

      It turned so quickly that I found it really hard to get any air at all...
      These small kites are too fast too. I had fun, and was in control - but I
      much prefer the big AR5's (9.5 and up.)

      How do Lou and co. get such big jumps with these kites? I found it hard to
      walk backward on the beach - but I couldn't get any real air.

      weird. There was no way I was trying any spins - the kite was too
      responsive.

      I had the kite 4-lined - maybe that added to the response. Is there anyway
      to slow these kites down? Too fast for good kitesurfing I reckon... Much
      better to lock in a big kite in 15knots.

      any tips for dealing with these things?

      DT
    • Dwight & Jacky
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2000
        I have the 4.5 and 5.5. They jump just like the 9.5. They actually jump
        better, but the jerk on lift off is more violent. I usually just ride for
        awhile while I adjust to the quicker kite. After 30 minutes, I'm usually
        comfortable and ready to start jumping.

        I don't know what the AR3.5 is like.

        Dwight

      • KiteBoard@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 1, 2000
          david@... writes:

          << I went out with the Naish 5.0 as the wind had backed off to 18-27knots. >>

          This seems odd, since even at only 62kg (135lb) I'm still having fun in 25
          knots with my 7.5 AR5 (can barely handle 30), although that is a big range,
          going all the way down to 18. I'm curious what you weigh, & what's your next
          size up from the 5.0?

          AND fishersfort@... writes:

          << I feel the same way. Blowing 30 here, and gusty. I hate the thought of
          digging out my wave gear. Mast base is probably seized up by now from only
          using it once all summer. >>

          That reminds me of a dream I had last night that I "had" to windsurf after a
          good kiteboarding session (can't remember the reason). I was thinking to
          myself "If I try not to think about jibing I'll probably do okay". Funny
          thing is I was using an old speed needle! In reality I haven't windsurfed
          once since I started kiteboarding. I would have (once!) but my sailbag
          zipper was corroded shut!

          Mel
        • David Trewern
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 1, 2000
            on 2/10/00 10:57 AM, KiteBoard@... at KiteBoard@... wrote:

            > david@... writes:
            >
            > << I went out with the Naish 5.0 as the wind had backed off to 18-27knots. >>
            >
            > This seems odd, since even at only 62kg (135lb) I'm still having fun in 25
            > knots with my 7.5 AR5 (can barely handle 30), although that is a big range,
            > going all the way down to 18. I'm curious what you weigh, & what's your next
            > size up from the 5.0?

            Next size up is 7.5. There was no way I was taking that out, as the stronger
            squalls coming through were pretty strong. I had already witnessed one of
            the most experienced kitesurfers I know getting blown halfway out into the
            bay - he nearly lost his kite.

            If it was 25knots and perfectly consistent - I may have considered the 7.5.

            It was a kitesurfing demo day - and I was the only person out because the
            wind was pretty crazy. The wind meter said 18-27knots - but it seemed pretty
            scary despite this.

            There was someone kitesurfing with a tiny 2 line stunt kite!
          • Drew Murphy
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 1, 2000
              --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, KiteBoard@a... wrote:
              > This seems odd, since even at only 62kg (135lb) I'm still having
              fun in 25
              > knots with my 7.5 AR5 (can barely handle 30), although that is a
              big range,
              > going all the way down to 18. I'm curious what you weigh, & what's
              your next
              > size up from the 5.0?

              Sounds like more of a case of how people call wind strength more than
              anything... for example I'm 80kg, and I use my only kite (AR3.5 5m2)
              in anything from "what I call" 15 knots upwards. At 25 knots it is
              starting to get crazy...
              As an indicator, whitecaps start at around what I call 12 knots.
            • KiteBoard@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 1, 2000
                In a message dated 10/1/00 5:36:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                david@... writes:

                << The wind meter said 18-27knots >>

                That reminds me of back when we came to the conclusion that not only are the
                meters sometimes off, but that different temp, pressure, & humidity could
                have a pretty big effect on the force.

                Mel
              • David Trewern
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 1, 2000
                  > That reminds me of back when we came to the conclusion that not only are the
                  > meters sometimes off, but that different temp, pressure, & humidity could
                  > have a pretty big effect on the force.

                  I agree - it was bloddy cold - which made it feel pretty strong.

                  I have held my wind meter out the car window (just like they tell you not
                  to) and it matched the speedo almost exactly (on a calm day). I think it's
                  pretty accurate.

                  Before I pulled the windmeter out, I would have guessed it was 25-30 at
                  least...

                  It was weird to see 18 knots on the meter at times - but I am pretty sure it
                  was right.
                • kennyfarnsworth@cs.com

                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 1, 2000
                      on 2/10/00 12:43 PM, kennyfarnsworth@... at kennyfarnsworth@... wrote:

                      > I bet his 5.0 is a two line. If he converted it to 4, he would have much
                      > more range.

                      It was 4 line - and I could have handled more wind...

                      I weight about 83kg
                    • David Trewern
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 1, 2000
                        on 2/10/00 4:20 PM, Raul F Argilagos at offdalip@... wrote:

                        > These guys actually use less responsive kites in those conditions.......

                        So is a 2 line classic the only option?
                      • Raul F Argilagos
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 1, 2000
                          These guys actually use less responsive kites in those conditions.......

                          Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
                          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                        • Steve McCormack
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 2, 2000
                            Hi Dave
                            Why not try putting the bridle back on you AR3.5 and use a shorter bar with
                            it (just slide the leaders inwards on the stock bar to find a compromise)?
                            That was my son Goshen kitesurfing at Pt Henry in those crazy winds you had
                            there, it was a .8M "Dwing" from Leading Edge kites. He said it was the only
                            thing he had that was small enough to hang onto in the gusts. The only
                            reason he tried was because the local paper turned up for a photo shoot, he
                            says they got some reasonable shots and hopefully will make a prominent spot
                            in the paper.
                            He also managed to get one last session in the snow last week too, said they
                            were getting some great airs and good photo's, some of which will appear in
                            the website when it is finished later this month. He is also in charge of
                            our website construction, so maybe I should lock up all his kites and
                            rockclimbing gear, so that the long saga of getting our new site up, is
                            over soon!!! :-) Cya and
                            Goodwinds
                            Steve McCormack
                            www.kitepower.com.au
                            sydney@...
                            126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, NSW, Australia 2034.
                            Ph/Fax 02 9315 7894 International +61293157894
                            386 Latrobe Terrace, Geelong, Victoria, Australia 3020
                            Ph/Fax 03 5229 5899 International +61352295899

                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 2, 2000
                              on 3/10/00 9:02 AM, Steve McCormack at sydney@... wrote:

                              > Hi Dave
                              > Why not try putting the bridle back on you AR3.5 and use a shorter bar with
                              > it (just slide the leaders inwards on the stock bar to find a compromise)?

                              I might do that - only thing is the 4-line set-up makes dealing with these
                              crazy winds so much easier. I would have had a much harder time on Sunday
                              with no ability to de-power in the gusts.

                              Either way I need a much shorter bar. I might chop the ends off my old Naish
                              bar - or even turn it into two bars!

                              It's a pity those Longhorns cost so much - I would love a tiny Longhorn -
                              but I would rather buy half a new board instead!

                              DT
                              ------------------------
                              D a v i d T r e w e r n D e s i g n

                              [i] www.dtdesign.com
                              [e] david@...
                              [t] +613 9429 2799
                              [f] +613 9429 8706
                            • TIGANAISH@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 9, 2000
                                I just spent a week at Kite Beach on Maui. All of the pros-Lou, Elliot,
                                Julie, Ann, etc.-are all on two lines with their smaller kites. They also
                                use very small bars, about 18". I tried a smaller bar while I was there with
                                my 5.0 Wipika and it worked much better! The kite was much easier to hold in
                                position where you wanted it to be without the "over"responsiveness.
                                Kurtis