Kitesurf in the Canaries

  • Julian Luttrell
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2000
      I've just found this group and I'm still going through the back
      posts.

      Rather than wait till I've read all 15000 of them, does anyone know
      of kitesurfing schools and hire shops in the Canary Islands? I'm
      planning a winter break there in January and would love to try some
      warmer water than the east of England, where I live.

      Julian
    • Robin Zwissler
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 29, 2000
        > I've just found this group and I'm still going through the back
        > posts.
        >
        > Rather than wait till I've read all 15000 of them, does anyone know
        > of kitesurfing schools and hire shops in the Canary Islands? I'm
        > planning a winter break there in January and would love to try some
        > warmer water than the east of England, where I live.

        Flagbeach, Fuerteventura http://www.flagbeach.com

        But I do not think that January is a good month.

        Robin
        http://www.kite-surf.com
      • Sergio Martinez Guzman
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 29, 2000
          Yes go to www.flysurflz.com
          It's a good school, one of the first spanish kitesurfing schools.
          The have Naish kites and will take you to a lot of differrents spots to
          kitesurf, rounded by the volcanic landscapes...
          Fantastic, really...

          > I've just found this group and I'm still going through the back
          > posts.
          >
          > Rather than wait till I've read all 15000 of them, does anyone know
          > of kitesurfing schools and hire shops in the Canary Islands? I'm
          > planning a winter break there in January and would love to try some
          > warmer water than the east of England, where I live.
          >
          > Julian

          > The first foils with a real depower and safety System: Stamos and
          Mosquito II Pro KS by windTools

          > For more informations, please visit our website: www.windTools.com

        • Gregory Jr.
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 30, 2000
            Flagbeach on Fuerteventura is good... great place and good
            conditions. If your not going over to fuerte there also is a town
            called El Medano on the south of Tenerife, the beach and conditions
            are also great. I believe theres also some schools over on lanzarote,
            dont know about them though.

            gregory
            ghjr@...

            --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, "Julian Luttrell" <julianl@l...> wrote:

            > I've just found this group and I'm still going through the back
            > posts.
            >
            > Rather than wait till I've read all 15000 of them, does anyone know
            > of kitesurfing schools and hire shops in the Canary Islands? I'm
            > planning a winter break there in January and would love to try some
            > warmer water than the east of England, where I live.
            >
            > Julian
          • John Mulligan
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 30, 2000
              Agreed regarding Flag Beach in Fuerteventura...awesome place,
              potential for some nice swell, side to side-off winds, nice scenery.
              You can rent gear including locally made kiteboards (Magma) that are
              really nice. Also, if the wind shifts a little more north and/or
              west, there's really good kitesurfing 20 minutes across the north end
              of Fuerte at El Cotillo; no crowds, decent beach with a mild
              shorebreak, more sideshore...

              In general, Fuerte has biggest surf and lightest winds in winter
              months, so don't forget your light air kite.

              Have fun,

              John
              --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, "Gregory Jr." <ghjr@u...> wrote:
              > Flagbeach on Fuerteventura is good... great place and good
              > conditions. If your not going over to fuerte there also is a town
              > called El Medano on the south of Tenerife, the beach and conditions
              > are also great. I believe theres also some schools over on
              lanzarote,
              > dont know about them though.
              >
              > gregory
              > ghjr@u...
              >
              > --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, "Julian Luttrell" <julianl@l...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I've just found this group and I'm still going through the back
              > > posts.
              > >
              > > Rather than wait till I've read all 15000 of them, does anyone
              know
              > > of kitesurfing schools and hire shops in the Canary Islands? I'm
              > > planning a winter break there in January and would love to try
              some
              > > warmer water than the east of England, where I live.
              > >
              > > Julian
            • S.Tonini
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 1, 2000
                If you do end up on Fuerteventura, and really want to push the
                limits, go to Sotavento.

                It's about 1 hour 10 mins south of Flag Beach, offshore wind,
                regularly 40-50 knots. No one kitesurfs there (I did for two weeks,
                the only one!), lots of windsurfers, and a weary rescue team from the
                windsurfing school located on the beach (Rene Egli's school).

                The school has a jet boat, but won't even let you out unless you
                demonstrate proficiency with the sport (ie can sail upwind, and no
                distuption of the windsurfers).

                The beach has ample launching space, provided the tide is low - high
                tide requires water-launching.

                Not exactly the kind of place I would recommend for kitesurfing, but
                a real rush to fly around in those winds. Worth all the
                warnings/hassles.

                Oh, stay away from the interior "lagoon" that develops during high
                tide, there are SEVERAL very shallow spots.

                Steve