[ksurf] Wipika 8.5

  • Antonio Esteban
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 1999
      My name is Antonio Esteban and I am learning to kite surf in Dominican
      Republic (my native Island) with a Wipika 8.5.
      Yesterday I noticed that my kite was turning upwards at the moment of most
      pressure on the kite during water start.
      After placing my feet in the straps and turning the kite the opposite way, I
      try to fly the kite horizontally into the direction I am going, for maximum
      power to lift me out of the water and start planing straight away.
      I noticed that the kite always turned upwards at the moment I was being
      lifted off the water. I tried to correct it with more boom action and still
      failed to prevent it from going up. I placed the boom parallel to the lines!
      After several tries, I noticed that the kite was changing its shape due to
      the increased pressure when I waterstarted. It was deforming and turning up
      (or the opposite way of the boom action).
      I thought that it could have been the effect of too low pressure on the main
      inflatable batten (leading edge).
      I am very frustrated and would really appreciate any input from members of
      the list who know what is happening.
      I am assuming that this has happened before.
      Regards,
      Antonio Esteban
      SkyVision
      http://members.spree.com/skyvision/
      (809)310-4900
      aesteban@...

    • stefano.rosso@iname.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 5, 1999
        I placed the boom parallel to the lines!
        > After several tries, I noticed that the kite was changing its shape due to
        > the increased pressure when I waterstarted. It was deforming and turning up
        > (or the opposite way of the boom action).
        > I thought that it could have been the effect of too low pressure on the main
        > inflatable batten (leading edge).
        > I am very frustrated and would really appreciate any input from members of
        > the list who know what is happening.
        > I am assuming that this has happened before.
        > Regards,

        Happened to me this weekend too... it is FOR SURE due to an underinflated spar... if the spars are not tight the kite will deform and be very diffivult to control... My sensation was the same- the kite wanted to fly up... Keep the inflated spars filled tightly but dont burst them !

      • stefano.rosso@iname.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 5, 1999