[ksurf] Peter Lynn's Waveski and C-Wing

  • Neil Taylor
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 1998
      The C-wing (4-line) that we tested was a small experimental version and
      certainly was quite "twitchy". Needless to say, when this is transferred
      to a larger kite the "twitchiness" is reduced considerably. I am not yet
      convinced that the 4-line version is a bad thing for water work. There
      are still a lot of possibilities there. The C-wing certainly develops
      enormous power and at a budget price due to the relatively simple
      design. Remember that it is also available as a 2-line kite which may
      well suit many skiers/surfers who aren't so keen on 4-line kites. It is
      being constantly developed as are all PL's kites. The re-launch system
      is currently under development......who knows what it will look like?!!!
      Bearing in mind that the kite buggy was a spin-off from the original PL
      Tri-maran and that he has sold over 10,000 buggies (!!!) I can only say
      "watch this space". I can't imagine Peter accepting anything less than
      perfection.......and even then....he wouldn't be happy with it......he
      would want it to brew coffee and play music at the same time!!!!
      I haven't used the new PL Wave-Ski but watching Peter using it I was
      impressed how easy he managed to stay "upwind". There are 4 steerable
      rudders that turn concentricly (like a Honda car with 4-wheel steering)
      making for a very tight turn. Sure it's not the same as skiing/surfing
      but it's still a very fast rig. I know that Peter's heart is in water
      traction even more than land traction so I think that we can expect some
      pretty revolutionary stuff from him.
      all the best,
      Neil Taylor,
      kitemaker

    • Tom Ashen
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 7, 1998
        At 10:29 PM 9/7/98 +0800, you wrote:
        >The C-wing (4-line) that we tested was a small experimental version and
        >certainly was quite "twitchy". Needless to say, when this is transferred
        >to a larger kite the "twitchiness" is reduced considerably. I am not yet
        >convinced that the 4-line version is a bad thing for water work. There
        >are still a lot of possibilities there. The C-wing certainly develops
        >enormous power and at a budget price due to the relatively simple
        >design. Remember that it is also available as a 2-line kite which may
        >well suit many skiers/surfers who aren't so keen on 4-line kites. It is
        >being constantly developed as are all PL's kites. The re-launch system
        >is currently under development......who knows what it will look like?!!!
        >Bearing in mind that the kite buggy was a spin-off from the original PL
        >Tri-maran and that he has sold over 10,000 buggies (!!!) I can only say
        >"watch this space". I can't imagine Peter accepting anything less than
        >perfection.......and even then....he wouldn't be happy with it......he
        >would want it to brew coffee and play music at the same time!!!!
        >I haven't used the new PL Wave-Ski but watching Peter using it I was
        >impressed how easy he managed to stay "upwind". There are 4 steerable
        >rudders that turn concentricly (like a Honda car with 4-wheel steering)
        >making for a very tight turn. Sure it's not the same as skiing/surfing
        >but it's still a very fast rig. I know that Peter's heart is in water
        >traction even more than land traction so I think that we can expect some
        >pretty revolutionary stuff from him.
        >all the best,
        >Neil Taylor,
        >kitemaker
        >
        >I wonder if Peter Lynn would be the person to talk to about my interests.

        I have taken an interest in the Wipica and this technical discussion but
        from a different angle. I am interested from a hang gliding angle. For
        years a friend and I have played with hang gliders (played means we never
        really took it up as an on-going sport. We had maybe 50 flights, lifetime.
        My friend got so anxious to fly one day that he anchored his parachute to a
        telephone pole and hung from the chute in the wind, some times getting s
        much of 50 feet of air. I surf too! I did not take up hang gliding for a
        hobbie because I have a wife and three kids and I could see that high
        altitude gliding could eventually lead to death.
        I have hoped that someday, someone would design a beach kite for maned
        flying over waves , a mistake dumps you in the water.
        Will this happen in my lifetime, I'm 50 years old, still surfing.