core material...was Clam sandwich review (ANTI-COMish)

  • David Turner
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 26, 2000
      I've used EPS(expanded poly styrene), XPS(extruded polystyrene), and
      PVC(divinicell, herex, etc.). Most wakeboards are made from 2-part
      Polyurathane. I haven't used that.

      PVC is the best and most costly.
      PRO's- doesn't absorb water
      high sheer strength
      long lasting
      conforms to curves easily
      CON's 5lb density is relatively heavy
      expensive

      Tony Fin of liquid force told me the polyurathane core in his average
      wakeboard costs $6....compared to about $75 for a PVC core.

      Polyurathane absorbs water(not as fast as EPS), and loses sheer strength
      after repeated flexing...therefora a 2-year old board is more likely to
      fail.

      Now, I'm no engineer, so please don't hand me any trigonometry,
      Dave&Dave, but I have done a lot of board building and testing and
      research, and these have been my findings.

      --
      Kite-on,
      Litewave Dave

      http://WWW.LITEWAVEDESIGNS.COM
      Initial testing of factory prototypes is INCREDIBLE...rode over granite
      rocks w/ no damage!
    • Rainer Leuschke
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 26, 2000
        --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, David Turner <windwave@p...> wrote:
        > Tony Fin of liquid force told me the polyurathane core in his
        average
        > wakeboard costs $6....compared to about $75 for a PVC core.

        > Now, I'm no engineer, so please don't hand me any trigonometry,

        Ok. No trig. But a sheet (8'x4') of 3/4" divinycell H80 is something
        like $120 at fiberglass supply. How many cores can you get out of
        this?
        I bet it's more than 1.6 8-)

        I think the most widely available polyurethane foam (other than clark
        foam) here in the states is last-a-foam. It's a bit cheaper ($52 for
        8'x2' sheet) but nowhere near as good as divinycell for material
        properties. Is that what the wakeboard makers use?

        R!