[ksurf] Re: The Weekends Sailing Report........and a quick upwind question!

  • srosso@bunge.com.br
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 29, 1999
      What technique works for you? I will try and explain mine......I move the
      kite
      into the power and intially point the board in that direction. As soon as I
      feel the drive and board moving I start the turn and point upwind. I am
      trying
      to keep my legs fairly straight and lean back to get maximum weight on my
      heels
      and the boards rail. Anything else to do or just keep practicsing this? I
      have
      found that the board seems to slide sideways quite a bit and if I try and
      point
      too far upwind I lose the power of the wing and then I am back where I
      started!
      I keep my knees well BENT ... this is to absosrb the chop better so that
      you dont loose the good edge... then if you get hit by a gust try and
      anticipate it and dig the edge harder so that you go REALLY upwind during
      the gust... It also helps to unhook in gusty conditions as you can pull
      the kite in and let your arms out to balance better in the gusts... (the 5
      fins is also a big help as i can hold a DAMN HARD Edge and the kitestill
      has not managed to make me do the "loose the edge slide on your butt" move

      I hope to get a 6.0 Wave soon from Concept Air. How do you like your 9.5?
      === no complaints - turns quick and give lots of power and quite stable for
      when you need it