[ksurf] The Weekends Sailing Report........and a quick upwind question!

  • Martin Rothwell
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29 4:05 AM
      Hello everyone!

      I had a good weekends kitesurfing here in the UK.........I hope you all
      had a good one too?

      Friday night saw a good cross-shore 10-15 knot wind and I sailed for a
      few hours using the 8.5 Wipika, 40 metre lines and 2.15 F-One board. On
      Saturday I scored two sessions, the first was a bit poor due to the wind
      being weak and variable, the second when the wind changed direction and
      picked up was better but didn't last too long as the wind soon died.
      Sunday was pretty mad with a much stronger cross on-shore wind. We used
      the 5.0 Wipika and got some really good runs in. It was quite a bumpy
      ride and I pulled a few little jumps on the way but was really trying to
      stay on the water and just practice the sailing technique.

      Now for the big question!!!!!

      I can sail well across the wind and nearly always return near to the
      launch site. I do lose some distance as I am still trying to Jibe so
      when I fail and wipe out I lose a little distance and get dragged
      downwind a bit. I am still finding it hard to go further upwind though,
      I am hooking into the harness and trying to keep the kite low and at the
      edge of the window whilst trying to use the boards rail edge to help
      point upwind. I just can't upwind.

      Any suggestions to help would be appreciated?????????

      I wonder if it is the 2.15 board but some of you guys use the same board
      with the Wipika and manage to go upwind so why can't I???????

      On another note, quite a few windsurfers are starting to notice what we
      can do and asking questions. I think they like the fact we can sail when
      they can't as the wind isn't strong enough. I even passed a few
      yesterday at high speed which they were quite impressed with! They have
      a windsurf contest next week so yet another chance to demonstrate the
      sport of KiteSurfing in the UK.

      Good wind for everyone and I hope someone will offer me a little advice!

      Martin