Re: [ksurf] 2001 AR5

  • Dwight & Jacky
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2000
      > Dwight,
      >
      > A close friend of mine was kite surfing with Don Montague. He told me
      that
      > Naish is working on a new gizmo to sheet the kite. He refused to
      elaborate
      > on the design.
      >
      > Have you tried your 15.5 on 20 meters yet?

      I have tried my 13.5 (don't have a 15.5) on 20 meters, actually that's the
      Spectra length only. I assume you are talking the same. With the Longhorn
      it's 26 meters with leader. Yeah it's turns real quick.

      I should point out, that we need less wind than you, for our kites. Living
      at sea level, a wing requires less airspeed to deliver power.

      I don't have much experience with it. We are entering our light wind months
      now. I should get to use it soon. Our sea breezes end and we need frontal
      passages for wind. So now it will be light wind or high wind and not much in
      between. Our high winds during frontal passages give the coast a false
      reputation for wind. Our wind averages actually drop in the fall.

      I want a 20 meter too, for these light days ahead.

      Dwight

      I tried my 9.5 on 20 meters

    • kennyfarnsworth@cs.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2000
        Dwight,

        Our winds pick up in the Fall due to increased storm activity. During the
        summer months, most of our wind activity is generated from thermals off the
        Great Salt Lake. The desert south of the Great Salt Lake heats up in the
        afternoon drawing cool air off of the lake. We also have some morning
        drainage winds off of the mountains. In the fall, we depend more on jet
        stream activity to bring us strong winds. The real danger for us is that the
        most powerful winds occur around thunderstorms.

        Yes, I noticed when I traveled to Maui that I had to reorient myself to wind
        speed readings. We do need stronger winds because Utah is at a higher
        elevation and the humidity level is low.

        Yesterday, was the first day that I flew my 9.5 in over a month. It was nice
        to be fully powered again and the jumps were much higher.

        I think the 20 M will be a great kite. I have read a lot of posts from
        people that were concerned about relaunchability, but I am not concerned. I
        will be launching the 20 in perfectly flat water, I found the 15.5 to be very
        easy to relaunch, so I am thinking the 20 won't be tough either. I am
        excited for the 20 because I had a lot of sessions where the 15.5 had enough
        power for me to plane, but not enough to stay upwind or jump.

        Kenny

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2000
          > I think the 20 M will be a great kite. I have read a lot of posts from
          > people that were concerned about relaunchability, but I am not concerned.
          > will be launching the 20 in perfectly flat water, I found the 15.5 to be
          very
          > easy to relaunch, so I am thinking the 20 won't be tough either
          > Kenny

          I agree.

          I find the kites easy to relaunch in very light winds.

          Dwight