Re: [ksurf] Arc and NZ board

  • Steve McCormack
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2000
      Hi Karl

      Your friends Arc sounds like it is a 2nd gen kite and they reportedly had
      the characteristics you describe. The 3rd gen kites have had changes made to
      them to enable more depowering (not as much as a Naish AR5) and better
      turning with less tendency to stall.
      The boards are made by Adrian Roper of Sailboards Underground in NZ, Adrian
      is a very experienced windsurfer/board manufacturer turned
      kitesurfer/kiteboard manufacturer, he has been making the Peter Lynn boards
      for the last couple of years too.
      He can be contacted via this e-mail address
      sailboards@...

      His boards are excellent quality, virtually bomb proof, and probably more
      technical to ride than some. They are designed for intermediate to advanced
      riders, a lot of design input comes from Kane Hartill.
      Kitepower is an agent for them in Oz, cya and
      Goodwinds
      Steve McCormack
      www.kitepower.com.au
      sydney@...
      126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, NSW, Australia 2034.
      Ph/Fax 02 9315 7894 International +61293157894
      386 Latrobe Terrace, Geelong, Victoria, Australia 3020
      Ph/Fax 03 5229 5899 International +61352295899

      > I tried out an Arc for someone who wanted to know if he was having
      problems
      > only because of inexperience.
      > I was going fine upwind with a Wipika 8.5 and had also tried a Naish 9.5.
      > The guy had made his own control bar and set up the lines himself.
      > Although I didn't lose too much ground, I did lose some and even after
      > slacking off the back lines, the kite never seemed to perform. How have
      > other people found them (it was a 7.2). How should the lines be set up -
      he
      > had both front and rear lines going to the outside of the bar and the rear
      > lines fed through pulley wheels so that the could be adjusted using a
      > central loop a la Naish system. If it is like a Naish, should the front
      > lines go to the centre of the bar?
      > Basically I don't want to comment on a kite after only a couple of runs
      but
      > it seemed to have the charachteristics of a foil rather than a sled - by
      > which I mean no ability to depower and usefully change AOA on the fly. It
      > was also sluggish and slow to turn (maybe needed a longer bar?).
      > He also had a custom New Zealand made surf board. It was the best board
      > I've ridden - I'd like to find who makes them: the main graphics said
      > Underground and I think he said the builder was Adrian Roper??
      > Can't find anything on the net.
      > Anyone know more about them?
      > It seemed a bit like riding a wakeboard style - loads of edge and v
      > responsive to small foot pressure. I couldn't gybe it but then I can only
      > just about gybe my Bic.
      > Karl
    • Eli Chancey
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2000
        Somebody mind telling me, other than size, why one board would be
        easier for a beginner compared to others (ie: underground boards?)

      • Mark Frasier
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2000
          At 12:28 AM 09/02/2000 -0000, Eli Chancey wrote:
          >Somebody mind telling me, other than size, why one board would be
          >easier for a beginner compared to others (ie: underground boards?)

          I think some boards may be "hard to handle" to a beginner but "responsive"
          to someone more advanced, just like kites.

          Mark Frasier