Big Wakeboard + Light Winds = :-) A Newbies Story / COM

  • Deon Aumaier
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2000
      Hey All
      My 2 cents.
      I have a litewave designs wake-n-style 6'1"x 18.75” (183cm x 47.6cm)
      Quad Fins, Foot strap w/heel bunge bindings.
      I am 42 years young, 6' and 195lbs.  (1.82m & 89kg)
      I finally got a chance to sail my new board for two days with a borrowed Naish 11.5 AR5.
      (thanks Steve@ Kite's etc. in Sunset Beach, Calif.)

      First day, ever on the water 8/30 Long Beach, Calif.
      Nobody out... light wind (10-12mph) I don't care, I gotta get this thing wet.
      Surprise, I am planing. I have to work the kite like crazy, but I am planing. When I crash
      the kite the wind is too light to relaunch from the water (or I don't have enough skill yet).
      I have to swim back to the beach and relaunch the kite from the sand.
      Except for a couple of times when fellow kiters grab the kite and flip it over for me.
      (thanks you guys!)
      But I do get the feeling of edging the board. I am able to roll the board under my butt after
      getting dragged on my belly.
      after each run. HAD FUN!!!

      Day TWO: 8/31/00 Long Beach, Calif.
      Again nobody out yet. But the clouds are burning off, the wind looks like it will be better
      than yesterday. Right away, I am planing under control without having to work the kite as
      much. I try to change direction by flying the kite overhead and back toward shore.
      It WORKS!
      I slow down to almost a stop yet the board stays really close to the surface of the water so
      when the kite powers up I am off on the other tack, No problem.
      The wind fills in more and I can lock the kite! (just like in Ken's video).
      Edging the board really hard is easy & it does slow me down and force the kite to the
      forward edge of the window (just like in Ken's video). I get a couple inches of air while
      changing direction even though I am trying really hard NOT to.
      Water starting the kite is challenging but I am able to do it every time (no more swimming).
      My last two runs I end up UPWIND of where I started!!!!!!
      By 4pm my arms are toast.(other kiters are just now getting on the water)

      The BIG Wake Board is the way to go:
      Lots of planing surface, easy to get bindings ON & OFF, very forgiving, no jibing.
      Beginners and schools should really explore this as a  teaching tool.

      Thanks to everybody in this group from all over the world for all your help. There are
      many of us who read everyday but never post.
      We really appreciate your willingness to share your collective knowledge.

      Fellow Newbies: Read every post in this group from the very first day! You will learn an amazing amount directly from the people who pioneered this incredible sport!
      Good Winds!
      C YA in the water.
      Deon

    • Richard Maise
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2000
        --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, Deon Aumaier <Heydeon@t...> wrote:
        > I was out this weekend on my new Wake-n-Style also. I have been
        struggling with directional boards all summer. My second day out I
        was going both upwind and jumping on the board. It's wide and bouyant
        making it very stable. When powerd up the edge control is incredible
        and just slices through the chop. I'm not giving up on the
        directionals, I think this is a board all kiters should demo. sure
        helped me. Thanks Lite-Wave Dave.