Re: [ksurf] Re: NEW KITE

  • Mark Frasier
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 1, 2000
      At 10:23 PM 08/31/2000 -0400, Chris Kohut wrote:
      >If you look closely at the picture the f-one image looks allot better
      >than
      >the kite image. I don't believe that it is for real. I am not saying
      >that I
      >am right it is just my observation.>>>
      >
      > .....yep, I think we've
      >been scammed.
      > (like this list needed any more fuel for the
      >fires.)

      I've done that kind of work for bike companies & riders before. They have a
      great picture for a magazine or ad or whatever, but they lack a few sponsor
      decals that have been applied to the bike since the photo was taken. We
      "apply" the decals in Photoshop in order to be able to use the photo
      (otherwise they'd have to use a different photo). That kind of thing
      happens in every industry - only most places do a better job of it than
      F-One did :)

      Mark Frasier
    • Just Al
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 1, 2000
        Spider already do this with there Spider Modulus foil kite... The Special 38
        is basically 7 kites in one, from 1 sq m to 3.8 sq m, all done by zipping
        inor out sections of the kite....You can buy extra sections too and make it
        up to 5.8sq m...After this, the AR becomes a little too high.

        Good idea though and its been used to good effect for crossing to the south
        Pole etc.

        Also, I know of one for sale (but its no good for kite-surfing).. check out

        http://website.lineone.net/~justal/WebPage

        Al.
        --
        Alan Cole
        Bryngwyn Mawr

        Tel: 01970 880707 Mob: 07974392605
        E-mail:justal@...
        ICQ # 84562901

        > From: "Greg Walsh" <gregwal@...>
        > Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 03:36:46 -0000
        > To: kitesurf@egroups.com
        > Subject: [ksurf] Zippers
        >
        > Hey Kite Designers!
        >
        > While you're all designing whizzo Sled shaped foils, how about
        > putting a zipper or two on either side of the centre cells. When you
        > get to the beach you could just zip together the cells on either side
        > of the centre section to reduce the span of your kite.
        >
        > Add a trimming system and you'd have good range from the kite while
        > flying as well as a range of sizes in one kite.
        >
        > PS. Battens suck. Try to avoid the battens in the tips like the Arc
        > has.Mylar stiffeners would be much nicer.

        > windTools - producer of the legendary Mosquito Pro KS
        > Get the right kitesurfingstuff.
        >
        > Visit http://www.windTools.com

      • Steve McCormack
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 1, 2000
          Thanks for the news, looks like an ARC to me, do you know what the control
          bar is like, just curious cya and
          Goodwinds
          Steve McCormack
          www.kitepower.com.au
          sydney@...
          126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, NSW, Australia 2034.
          Ph/Fax 02 9315 7894 International +61293157894
          386 Latrobe Terrace, Geelong, Victoria, Australia 3020
          Ph/Fax 03 5229 5899 International +61352295899

          > Hey all
          > I just saw a new kite by f-one which looks to be pretty revolutionary.
          > pics are posted here. the new kites have at least a 20 kts wind range
          > and according to the reps will have no bridle with a ram foil design.
          > they should be available in a couple of months in a 5.3, 7.3, 9.3 and
          > even a 12.3 M2 sizes.
          >
          > SEE YA ON THE WATER!
          >
          > RAUL
        • David Raue
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 1, 2000
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 1, 2000
              In the EU patent applications are public the instant they're made. If
              there's no EU application it means it hasn't even been applied for in the EU
              which would be an extremely bizzare patent strategy. Unless they're
              applying in US first to see if it gets through at all and waiting oto apply
              in EU to squeeze out an extra year. This would be surprising too, tho, it's
              usuallythe kind of thing that Pharma companies do. Is anyone aware of a PCT
              filing? Sorry to say it, but the PL org has played pretty fast and loose
              with patents stuff in the past

              -D
              <<<<snip>>>>

              > even flys. Maybe the shot is doctored like the logo to test out the
              > response to a kite that might infringe the PL patent. A patent btw
              > that hasn't been granted (I haven't even been able to find the
              > application ...so who knows what the claims might be???). And
              > even if it is granted, it might be very weak (i.e. not hold up in
              > court). PL would be better off spending his energy making the
              > arc sheetable and staying a step ahead of the competition. He's
              > pretty good at that.
              > R!
            • David Raue
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 1, 2000