Re: 18.0 SQ Meter C Quad, 20.0 Naish, LQForce 153CM

  • Jeff Quick
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 1 6:36 AM
      Not interested at the moment, but I will keep you posted if I do.
      I've been using that kite to due some low tide beach boarding
      everyday
      this week. I tried the 15.5 Naish yesterday in the same amount of
      wind, and was amazingly getting better jumps, with longer hangtimes.
      I hate to say this, but they were better feeling, alot more
      solid...and the upwind ability was a bit better than the 10.5 as well.
      With that in mind, I am going to do some side by side tests over the
      next few weeks and determine if the 15.5 performance (on land
      atleast)
      is better than the 10.5 C Quad's. I am not saying the 15.5
      Naish outpulls the 10.5 C Quad...it doesn't. But the 'feel' was much
      better.

      This should be interesting.

      Jeff

      --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, "Mike Bailey" <jbailey@k...> wrote:
      > You probably still fly it on land but I have to ask if you would be
      > interested in selling your 10.5
      > Mike

      plan
      on
      > > > winds
      > > 10.5
      > > but
      > > just
      > > > be
      > > > here
      > > > requirement
      > > my
      > > > assumption
      > > > -----
      > > > "(12 MPH or more for me and my 5'10" and 15.5 C Quad)"
      > > > Don't you mean Naish?
      > > > -----

      with

      <paul.sexstone@c...>
      > > > and
      > > gets

      > > > as

      > > 9mtr...

    • David Raue
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 1 5:47 PM
        Yesterday I got out ripping on 5'8" litewave in 7-8 kts with Mossie 9+.
        Upwind, no walking, but couldn't quite jump. Actually going well in such low
        wind is a first for me. It would have been completely impossible with 15.5,
        no way, no how. I'll post more about it.

        -D
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 1 7:28 PM
          Jeff,

          You will love the 15.5 when the wind picks up to 20mph and you are in the
          trim loop flying upwind. On the c-quad you would either have to drop the
          kite or go for a suicide downwind run.

          I want to try the 15.5 on 20 meter lines. I tried my 9.5 today on 20 M lines
          and it turned on a dime. I am thinking shorter lines might really help the
          handling of the 15.5.

          Kenny

          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 1 7:45 PM
            D,

            Hate to burst your bubble, but I also have a 5'8" litewave and I can plane
            and stay even, not upwind but even in 7 - 8 kts, (not 7-8 mph). All you have
            to do it set up the kite hot and work it and when the wind picks up to 18, I
            am still on the water. Can't say that with a Mossie 9+.

            Kenny

            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 1 9:15 PM
              D,

              It appears that the conditions are much different where I live (inland).
              Where I live the wind rarely blows at a steady 7-8 kts. It usually dies or
              accelerates. I have had many sessions where the wind started out light and
              then accelerated to over 20 mph. I used to own a 9.3 CA New Wave and it was
              impossible to handle in those conditions. For me if a kite doesn't have
              range it is not worthwhile to even bother pulling it out of the bag. So, to
              each their own. I am glad that you are having a good time with your Mossie.
              I apologize if I offended you.

              Kenny

              << DUDE!!

              Fear not my friend, my bubble's not busted. My minimum requirement is
              getting upwind in low wind, mossie does it, 15.5 doesn't (as you seem to
              reluctantly suggest). As for what you can do manage with 15.5, that's just
              fine, have at it. But I can't. Maybe I'm bigger, maybe you're better (good
              bet!!). But what's important to me is what I can do. I'm not going to kill
              myself trying to duplicate what somebody says they can do. Todd's bottom
              end seems to be 12 kts if I recall.

              As for range, nobody in their right mind would say the 9+ has the same range
              as 15.5. So what? I've had precious few occasions where wind miraculously
              increased that much in a single session, so range is nice but not a
              must-have. I didn't get it for range, I got it so I could be out on the
              water when nothing else works. So gimme a break (it's been a long day).
              It's not a matter of which is "better," it's apples and oranges. It IS an
              issue of which is better suited to what conditions. Hope this is clearer,
              maybe?

              -D >>
            • David Raue

                > Hate to burst your bubble, but I also have a 5'8" litewave and I can plane
                > and stay even, not upwind but even in 7 - 8 kts, (not 7-8 mph). All you
                have
                > to do it set up the kite hot and work it and when the wind picks up to 18,
                > am still on the water. Can't say that with a Mossie 9+.
                >
                > Kenny
                >
                > << Yesterday I got out ripping on 5'8" litewave in 7-8 kts with Mossie 9+.
                > Upwind, no walking, but couldn't quite jump. Actually going well in such
                low
                > wind is a first for me. It would have been completely impossible with
                15.5,
                > no way, no how. I'll post more about it.
                >
                > -D >>

                > The first foils with a real depower and safety System: Stamos and
                Mosquito II Pro KS by windTools

                > For more informations, please visit our website: www.windTools.com

              • David Raue
                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 2 4:24 PM
                  OK, cool....

                  > Where I live the wind rarely blows at a steady 7-8 kts.

                  This is our curse!!! Beautiful beach days, gentle sea breezes.... The last
                  2 weeks there were only a couple days over 9 kts. Gotta be prepared.

                  > I used to own a 9.3 CA New Wave and it
                  > was impossible to handle in those conditions.

                  For sure!!!

                  > I apologize if I offended you.

                  Not really :-), but I was in a mean mood. Yesterday I had an ugly
                  confrontation with some folks who were letting their kids trample and rip up
                  the dune grass, which is very delicate. Even walking over the roots between
                  the stalks kills it. And it's all that holds that particular beach together
                  and the beach is quickly receding cause of people like them. They
                  apparently couldn't read the signs and were't gonna be told to do by anyone
                  except the ranger. So there was some shouting.

                  -D
                • Jeff Quick
                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 3 8:41 AM
                    Heheh ya, got the chance to try the 15.5 in 22-26 MPH winds the other
                    day with super choppy conditions and head high swells....I HAD to
                    ride
                    in the trim loop to go back upwind, after a long
                    downwind jumping session! It was hell, but I made it back.

                  • kennyfarnsworth@cs.com

                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 3 1:55 PM
                        Are you trying to say that a c-quad doesn't have 4 mph of range? A
                        6.3 would have been about the right size here, and it could have
                        easily handled 22-26. In fact my 8.5 takes that range..but I can't
                        kiteboard because w/ the kite directly above me someone has to hold
                        me down.

                      • kennyfarnsworth@cs.com
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 3 8:30 PM
                          Okay, you got me. I didn't read Jeff's post carefully enough. I didn't
                          realize that he launched his 15.5 in 22 - 26 mph winds. I have flown my 15.5
                          in winds that strong after the wind accelerated from 14 - 16 mph. When I
                          said "No way, No how" I was referring to that type of scenario where the wind
                          started out light and just zoomed up to 20 mph plus.

                          Kenny