Re: [ksurf] AR5 & Wipika 4line experiences

  • Andy Heaton
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 13, 2000
      The AR5 LOCKS in almost immediately and nothing jumps better

      Sure, probably does.

      I would simply like to add to Dwights message (as it hasn't been covered in a while, unless I missed it in  haze of AR5 notes?), and remind any beginners out there looking at inflatables just joining the list, to weigh your options carefully and to be aware the AR5 is a high performance kite that needs a fair amount of skill. If you don't fly it skillfully or with  experience, it can be dangerous.

      It is a good kite, but kitesurfing has many aspects and styles, different kites accommodate different styles, in my humble opinion, that's part of the fun.

      Today I was on my 6.5 Wipika Free Air 4 line in gusty 22-30 MPH Kihei, Maui.

      I have not had such a fun time in the water in months, the kite is SUPER stable and responsive, smoothness I have not found in the AR5, and I can use it on windy days 4 line, with a small wakeboard, it's an all rounder!

      I was boosting some of the best airs of my life today (I am not sure if I would have gotten higher with an AR5...perhaps, but I  really don't care, i was up enough for me to get a high) and surfing waves  better than i ever have (which isn't necessarily saying I was ripping:))

      Relaunched numerous times, in 4 line mode, way easier than I was accustomed to with the higher aspect 4 line AR5 kites . No long downwind fights after dropping my kite.(yes I do drop my kite still, it happens a lot trying new stuff)

      I came in from my 2nd session only cause my eyes felt like they were on fire, and I couldn't see any more. If my body and eyes would allow it, I would be out there now. IT WAS FUN:)))

      The Free Air is a GREAT kite, and basically, I am feeling a little sad for the new kiters out there ringing me, asking for a kite they can handle and learn on that doesn't intimidate them (after they have spent big on an AR5). The AR5 has it's place, but is definitely not the be all and end all in 4 line inflatables. I am VERY happy with the free air performance and can't imagine swapping back!

      Kites are a valuable item and it is important to pick one you will be comfortable with. This is not a com message, but an opinion, just my 2 cents worth.

      Best regards
      Andy Heaton

      Ps Hey Mike G, I met Joe from 3rd at the beach today, he says hello. He is staying on a beach front property in kihei.....sigh.

      Dwight & Jacky wrote:

      The AR5 LOCKS in almost immediately and nothing jumps better.

      >From the Fisher's Fort
      Kure Beach, NC
      Dwight & Jacky

      http://www.angelfire.com/nc/capefearwindsurfing/  (includes kitesurfing)

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 14, 2000
        > Today I was on my 6.5 Wipika Free Air 4 line in gusty 22-30 MPH Kihei,
        Maui.

        > I have not had such a fun time in the water in months, the kite is SUPER
        stable
        > and responsive, smoothness I have not found in the AR5, and I can use it
        on
        > windy days 4 line, with a small wakeboard, it's an all rounder!

        Can you comment on how it compares to the AR3.5 in gusty high winds.

        Thanks,

        Dwight