[ksurf] We HAVE TO watch out

  • srosso@bunge.com.br
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 1999
      The message below appeared on a windsurf mail list by a windsurfer in Maui,
      hawaii... LETS BE CAREFUL - we do not need to have enemies before the sport
      begins to grow !

      Yesterday I got "clotheslined" by a kitesurfer. He took me out by
      allowing his kite to drop right in front of me while I was going full
      speed on starboard tack. His lines hit my mast just above the boom and
      zipped up the luff sleeve. I ducked because it looked like the lines were
      going to hit my neck. It caused me to spin out and fall. I couldn't
      waterstart because his lines got all fouled up on the ends of my batten
      tensioners. I had to untangle everthing first. All of this happend right
      in front of the impact zone at lowers. Luckily there was not much in the
      way of waves that day.
      The guy apologized, but it made me realize that the two sports don't mix
      well at all. A few months ago something similar happend when my
      girlfriend (now wife) Eva accidentally ran over a kitesurfer's lines.
      The guy yelled obscenities at her like she was supposed to be aware of his
      invisible lines lying in the water.
      I don't mind sharing the playground but things are already starting to get
      tricky and I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before someone gets
      hurt. In addition to looking out for other sailors, watching the surface
      of the water, looking out for breaking waves, we windsurfers also have
      to start paying attention to the sky as well!