[ksurf] upwind on the fin - my first tests

  • srosso@bunge.com.br
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 1999
      Hello. I wonder if anyone have tried with a centreboard

      Hello Gunnar... Some people have made boards that go upwind on the fin...
      with a big fin in the place of where you might have a center board...

      I actually have my first test reports of my board with a fin to ride
      upwind..

      What i did was take an old surfboard - add some straps and make a cavity
      for a tuttle powerbox (reinforced with glass and resin)... Out of lazyness
      i have not removed any of the three thruster fins on that board...

      Both tests where in underpowered conditions... with sometimes a puff
      popping me onto a plane...

      First test was with a 13 inch (33 cm) windsurf slalom blade fin - It was
      WAY TO BIG... the board would pop out of the water and then fall back down
      and then pop back out - I was getting too much lift and i was
      underpowered... so i switched to a 9 inch wave fin and then i have some
      more control but still havent mastered the technique to go upwind on the
      fin - still too much lift from the fin - i think i should remove the back
      fins as they might be the ones that are giving me too much lift...

      BUT the positive aspects is that i can pump onto a plane MUCH more easily
      with a big fin and STAY there... and the board rides MUCH faster when
      riding flat - - unfortunately the TOO much lift makes it difficult to
      control and its hard to keep it balanced... The board still rides on the
      edge if i want it too.... JIBING when riding flat is difficult because of
      so much lift that it pops the board out of the water...

      NEST STEPS - remove 1 or 2 of the back fins... get some REAL wind.. ride
      flatter