Jumping: ankle leashes and knee pain

  • victor1@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2000
      I've been jumping (and crashing) quite a bit lately with no real
      lasting pain until a day ago. On a botched landing I felt some
      serious pain in my right knee. I attach my boardleash to my right
      ankle, and I'm certain that on impact, my board 'anchored'in the
      water
      and the leash-pull wrenched my leg into an awkward position. I'm
      thinking that bigger crashes are going to lead to some severe knee
      injury.

      I understand that some of the boys in Cabarete (& elsewhere) are
      hooking the leash into their harness, rather than onto an ankle.
      Anybody with thoughts/suggestions on this?

      -Victor
    • rob@guardianfire.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2000
        --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, victor1@m... wrote:
        > I've been jumping (and crashing) quite a bit lately with no real
        > lasting pain until a day ago. On a botched landing I felt some
        > serious pain in my right knee. I attach my boardleash to my right
        > ankle, and I'm certain that on impact, my board 'anchored'in the
        > water
        > and the leash-pull wrenched my leg into an awkward position. I'm
        > thinking that bigger crashes are going to lead to some severe knee
        > injury.
        >
        > I understand that some of the boys in Cabarete (& elsewhere) are
        > hooking the leash into their harness, rather than onto an ankle.
        > Anybody with thoughts/suggestions on this?
        >
        > -Victor

        Hey Victor,

        Maybe we're just too old for this sport.
        Seriously, I have have had cronick forearm pain for some time. I
        guess mine is tendon related from working the kite real hard.

        Rob
      • Kinsley Wong
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2000
          Hi Victor,
          buy a small carabiner and use this to attache your board leash to
          your
          harness or life jacket. I started all my students on this and they
          all love it.
          Cheers,
          Kinsley Wong
          Go Xtreme !
          http://XtremeBigAir.com

          --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, victor1@m... wrote:
          > I've been jumping (and crashing) quite a bit lately with no real
          > lasting pain until a day ago. On a botched landing I felt some
          > serious pain in my right knee. I attach my boardleash to my right
          > ankle, and I'm certain that on impact, my board 'anchored'in the
          > water
          > and the leash-pull wrenched my leg into an awkward position. I'm
          > thinking that bigger crashes are going to lead to some severe knee
          > injury.
          >
          > I understand that some of the boys in Cabarete (& elsewhere) are
          > hooking the leash into their harness, rather than onto an ankle.
          > Anybody with thoughts/suggestions on this?
          >
          > -Victor
        • Ian Young
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2000
            >buy a small carabiner and use this to attache your board leash to
            >your harness or life jacket.

            A stainless steel dog leash snap shackle on your leash and a D shackle on
            your harness is even easier to get on/off

            Cheers,
            Ian Young

            WinDesigns Australia - Australia's First Kite Ski & Surfing School (Since
            1998)
            ABN 39163012473 Registered for GST
            9 Oliver Street Scarborough
            WA 6019 AUSTRALIA
            Phone/ Fax: +61 8 9245 4657
            Mobile: 0414 716 812
            Webapage: www.iinet.net.au/~ianyoung/kiteski.html
          • Peter Traykovski
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2, 2000
              Ian Young wrote:

              > >buy a small carabiner and use this to attache your board leash to
              > >your harness or life jacket.
              >
              > A stainless steel dog leash snap shackle on your leash and a D shackle on
              > your harness is even easier to get on/off

              Probably safer too. In my first day of using a bent gate climbing carabiner
              on my harness to attach my board leash I managed to hook my control bar
              harness loop into the carabiner! Don't know how I managed that, but it
              happened. It was pretty awkward to get unhooked from the carabiner because I
              had to use one hand to keep the gate open and then it was hard to control the
              bar with only one hand while not hooked ino the regular harness hook, since I
              couldn't hook into both the hook and the carbiner while caught on the
              carabiner! Eventually I managed to hook into the trim loop to take the load
              off the harnes line and got free!

              -Peter