Re: [Re: [ksurf] 9.5 - 15.5 wind range overlap]

  • richard nelson
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2000
      Welcome back to the club...
      Despite all the sound and fury about bars, straps and loops I remain delighted
      with the stock Naish setup with strap and trim loop. It just needs a small
      design change to allow easy replacement of worn line. I have yet to need more
      range than the single strap, but it's easy to add a second Naish strap if more
      range is necessary. And the Naish strap is tidy, strong and works.
      -r

      > This explanation has just helped me understand what I experienced tonight.
      > After my ladder lock buckle broke, my kite was flying too nose high. All
      > jumps after that, were high speed and low. Before the buckle broke I was
      > having a great night with the strap pulled a few inches and riding in the
      > trim loop very powered up. More powered than I've ever been before using my
      > 9.5. My trim loop rope is about 3/4 the length of the factory Naish rope.
      > This made it more enjoyable to ride with. I could comfortably reach the bar
      > with it let out all the way, resting against the knot.

      Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://webmail.netscape.com
    • Dwight & Jacky
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2000
        Rick,

        What you're not aware of is the freaky range required to fly the 13.5
        and I suspect the 15.5 too. It does require much more than the stock
        strap range, just to make a SMALL difference in power. You can go
        through the strap's entire range and never see any difference in line
        tension front to back. The stock range is almost invisible on the
        13.5. I know this sounds like BS, but it's not. That kite really is
        very different than my others. It is this kite that has me on an
        endless quest for a longer strap. If we could buy Naish straps I
        would just tie two end to end, but we can't.

        Dwight
      • Dwight & Jacky
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2000
          Rick,

          I forgot about the other factor that sent me on this quest for a
          longer strap. SAFETY! The last thing you want to do is walk on dry
          land hooked into the loop to depower the kite. The strap needs the
          range to safely kill the kite all by itself. The safety leash is no
          good to you when hooked into that trim loop. As Naish
          warns.........never walk on dry land hooked in. How do you depower it
          if the straps too short to do the job? These straps should be
          different lengths for small and big kites kites. Don has done a good
          job of improving his bar design with each shipment from China we
          receive. He either hangs out here, or comes to the same conculsions
          we do, all by himself.

          Dwight