Re: depowering foil was Subject: RE: New Trim Loop Design

  • Greg Walsh
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2000
      Yo Ian

      Can you give us an idea of how effective yourtrimming system is? On a
      depowering effectiveness scale of 1-10 with the AR5 at 10 and the New Wave
      at 5 where does your system fit?

      Have you tested your trim adjustment on the WaveEx an the New Wave? I
      thought that the profile of the wing would have to be designed to allow it
      to handle extremes of AoA etc etc etc. I can see the New Wave responding
      well to trim adjustment but I would have thought the WaveEx would be a lot
      more touchy.

      Greg
    • Ian Young
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2000
        >Can you give us an idea of how effective yourtrimming system is? On a
        >depowering effectiveness scale of 1-10 with the AR5 at 10 and the New Wave
        >at 5 where does your system fit?

        To be honest I haven't got that much experience on the AR5's but from the
        little I've got I think it's just as effective - after all the principle is
        exactly the same - the only concern I had was luffing but so far my testing
        hasn't shone this to be as much of a problem as I thought it would be. Give
        me a chance to do some more thorough testing in some savage gusts and to
        sort out some intellectual property protection and I'll publish some more
        details on the group.

        >Have you tested your trim adjustment on the WaveEx an the New Wave?

        Just a 3.8m EX at this stage but the rig can easily be fitted to a New Wave
        as well.

        >I thought that the profile of the wing would have to be designed to allow
        it
        >to handle extremes of AoA

        Yes, but this is set by the manufacturers bridling of the AB lines (ie the
        first two rows of bridle lines).

        >I would have thought the WaveEx would be a lot more touchy.

        This is what I was concerned about but as I said, so far once you're under
        way with your apparent wind up it doesn't seem to be the case - so far
        (touch wood) - in any case the centre line adjustment has little line
        tension and can easily be grabbed to prevent luffing very effectively.

        Cheers,
        Ian Young

        WinDesigns Australia - Australia's First Kite Ski & Surfing School (Since
        1998)
        ABN 39163012473 Registered for GST
        9 Oliver Street Scarborough
        WA 6019 AUSTRALIA