PLK Arc Report Please!

  • David Kinzie
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 30, 2000
      HI!

      I'M HOPING TO BUY A 9.0M ARC IN THE NEXT COUPLE WEEKS AND WANTED TO
      KNOW IF SOMEONE CAN TELL ME AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE ABOUT THEM...THEIR
      PERFORMANCE, EASE OF USE, INFLATION ETC...ESPECIALLY, IF POSSIBLE,
      THE THIRD GENERATION PRODUCTION MODELS OF THE LARGER VERSIONS, 7 &
      9M.

      I HAVE A 9.5M ADVANCE AND A 5.7M WATERFOIL AND IT WOULD BE GREAT TO
      HEAR A LITTLE COMPARISON TO FOIL AND OTHER SLED (NAISH,WIPPI) POWER,
      PERFORMANCE, EASE OF USE, INFLATION ETC.

      THANKS AND GOOD WINDS...

      DAVE K.
      davidkinzie@...
    • Ted
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 30, 2000
        I can give a little info on the 7.2 ARC. I'm not sure about the
        generation thing but I got it a couple of weeks ago.

        I compair the 7.2 ARC with the 11.5 Naish. 11.0 Wipika free air, 7.2
        blade, xxl quadrifoil based on my experience.

        The ARC is the most stable kite I've flown. I have not been able to
        luff it yet, I've tried. It is as stable as the blades and will not
        miss behave on the jumps.

        The 7.2 ARC turns as well as the 11.5 or 4.9 blade. Quick response,
        no lag time on 30 meters. I use a 24" bar.

        The ARC will water start in less than 10 seconds or so. I was able
        to waterstart the 7.2 in less than 6mph of wind. This took longer
        but it was not a big deal, It just had to go straight down wind in
        light wind. There is nothing to catch on the ARC it floats like an
        air mattress.

        The 7.2 ARC jumps as well as the naish 11.5. (which is saying a lot)
        Nice big floaty ones.

        The ARC, I have, flys like a foil. (tension must be on the mains
        only) thus it is not sheetable. It handles gusts very well and when
        overpowered just keep it low and rail. (like any good foil)

        It goes up wind as good as any on the market.

        Inflation, you need to learn the tricks. The kite needs to be at
        least 2/3 inflated to fly. A couple of techniques is to hold the
        tips and throw the kite over your head. Or step on one tip and hold
        the other end over your head and a 45 degree angle to the wind.
        This adventure only takes a minute or two once you get the hang of
        it. I modified a 12v car vacuum to blow air. This will inflate it
        in less than a couple of minutes also.

        Take off and landing. This is probably the most strange thing about
        the kite. When partially inflated, take off dead down wind. When
        inflated if you have help, side window launch like the inflatables or
        by yourself, down wind again. (if someone has other techs. let me
        know) The kite will not pull too much when semi inflated or from
        dead down wind so I haven't broke myself yet.

        Landing, with help, just like an inflatable, solo I've found dead
        down wind to be the best for me. I have the mains comming down to
        the center of the bar with an adjustable strap. (see Dwights mods
        and the like) The back lines or breaks are on the sides. By
        extending the mains you put on the breaks. The kite backs down under
        control without a lot of power. I've heard some guys put the kite
        down, solo, on the side of the window then flop it on its leading
        edge right before it hits. This has not worked for me yet. The kite
        will start to tumble. The kite will not fly if the break lines are
        tight. So the kite won't go back into the air it will just roll on
        and get into trouble on the ground. Way too much break though the
        kite may back up in the air if on it's leading edge.

        One other thing that is weird about the kite is if your are stopped,
        not moving and the kite goes low in the window it will stick there
        and start backing down slowly. You have to pull on the mains to make
        it go back up. It's like the angle of it angle changes. It's not a
        problem to pull on the mains if you are hooked into the harness.
        This never happens with you are in motion, just when standing still
        and the kite is low in the window. This is not a big deal but it
        will suprise folks when it happens.

        Durability: People who own the inflatables will know about repairs
        required on the naishes and wipi's. The ARC does have tip spars
        that could break, and a hole in the kite can be repaired by tape,
        there are no bladders to maintain. Who knows if we will be able to
        use this years kite two seasons from now. My 4.9 blade as held up
        with over 200 uses on the water but it is looking tired. I usually
        have been able to destroy kites in less than 20 uses. So I'll have
        to wait and see about the ARC.

        The no luffing, good jumps and easy waterstarting are good points.
        The range may be a negative to some and the takeoff and landing solo
        part will be a factor for others. So I give it(on a scale 1-10) 10
        for not luffing, a 10 for jumping, a 6 for range, a 5 for takeoff
        and landing a 7 for safety (because of the takeoff and landing thing)
        and a 9 for appearance. I am switching to them for my main kite
        surfing kites. The ARC may have other suprises in them that I have
        not encountered so who knows if they will pan out.

        PS a 11.5 naish I would rate: 5 for not luffing, 10 for jumping, 9
        for range, 6 for takeoff and landing, 7 for safety and appearance is
        subjective.

        -Ted

        --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, "David Kinzie" <davidkinzie@h...> wrote:
        > HI!
        >
        > I'M HOPING TO BUY A 9.0M ARC IN THE NEXT COUPLE WEEKS AND WANTED TO
        > KNOW IF SOMEONE CAN TELL ME AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE ABOUT THEM...THEIR
        > PERFORMANCE, EASE OF USE, INFLATION ETC...ESPECIALLY, IF POSSIBLE,
        > THE THIRD GENERATION PRODUCTION MODELS OF THE LARGER VERSIONS, 7 &
        > 9M.
        >
        > I HAVE A 9.5M ADVANCE AND A 5.7M WATERFOIL AND IT WOULD BE GREAT TO
        > HEAR A LITTLE COMPARISON TO FOIL AND OTHER SLED (NAISH,WIPPI)
        POWER,
        > PERFORMANCE, EASE OF USE, INFLATION ETC.
        >
        > THANKS AND GOOD WINDS...
        >
        > DAVE K.
        > davidkinzie@h...
      • Ian Young
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 30, 2000
          >The ARC, I have, flys like a foil. (tension must be on the mains
          >only) thus it is not sheetable.

          I disagree. It depends on how you've got your kite trimmed and how it's
          rigged - my 6.6m Arc in 4 line has sheeting control by pulling in on the
          power (forward) lines at the centre of the bar - it accelerated to the edge
          of the wind window and depowered. The big + over inflatables is that it can
          also be flown in reverse by bringing both hands to the outside of your bar
          and pulling the leader lines together - there may be benefit in running the
          brake lines through eye bolts at the ends of the bar and then to the centre
          to provide a single line brake control & for a leash attachment.

          Cheers,
          Ian Young

          WinDesigns Australia - Australia's First Kite Ski & Surfing School (Since
          1998)
          ABN 39163012473 Registered for GST
          9 Oliver Street Scarborough
          WA 6019 AUSTRALIA
          Phone/ Fax: +61 8 9245 4657
          Mobile: 0414 716 812
          Webapage: www.iinet.net.au/~ianyoung/kiteski.html
        • KiteBoard@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 30, 2000
            In a message dated 7/30/00 1:49:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
            trpi@... writes:

            << I compare the 7.2 ARC with the 11.5 Naish. 11.0 Wipika free air, 7.2
            blade, xxl quadrifoil based on my experience. >>

            Thanks for the thorough report.
            Does it have similar POWER to the 11.5 Naish?

            Mel
          • Ted
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 30, 2000
              The 7.2 ARC that I have seems to have the same power as the 11.5
              naish. I'd put its wind range from say 12mph to 18mph. Of course
              the 11.5 naish can be used from 12 to 25mph average in the hands of
              the masters on this group. But I am a wimp I could only comfortably
              use the 11.5 in wind 12 to around 18mph average. If anything it is a
              little bit stronger (lower end range) than the 11.5 and does not have
              the upper range of the 11.5.

            • KiteBoard@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 30, 2000
                In a message dated 7/30/00 6:40:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                trpi@... writes:

                << The 7.2 ARC that I have seems to have the same power as the 11.5
                naish. ... If anything it is a
                little bit stronger (lower end range) than the 11.5 ... >>

                Since the 11.5 has 6.4 projected, that means the 5.0 ARC would be about the
                same (or "a little bit stronger") as a 7.5 with 4.4 projected. (6.4/4.4 =
                7.2/5.0)

                I can't help but wonder if you were simply not sheeting in, since you had all
                the force on the front lines. After I found out how much I could sheet in, I
                got a LOT more power out of my 7.5 (compared to the stock setting). I'd
                think the 7.2 ARC would have a lot more power than an 11.5, which has about
                11% less projected area.

                Mel