[ksurf] Re: RSVP: Kite or Board

  • Ian Young
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 4, 1999

      Which design has to be pushed?
      Kiteboard or Kite

      ----

      Please select one of the following:

         o Kiteboard
         o Kite
      I believe that we will see significant developments in both, however I believe that the kite systems (including control bar/ 2vs 4 line, etc) have far more room for improvement in the following areas:
      • re-launchability from the water
      • ease of control/ stability when no pilot input
      • rapid turning response with pilot input
      • safety/ ease of unassisted take-off and landings on the beach
      • ability for variable de-power ie 100% - 75% - 50% - 25%
      Cheers for now,
      Ian

      WinDesigns Australia - Australia's first Kite Ski&Surfing School
      9 Oliver St, Scarborough, WA, AUSTRALIA, 6019
      Phone/Fax:    +61 8 9245 4657
      Mobile:       0414 716 812
      Email:        IanYoung@...
      Webpage:      http://www.iinet.net.au/~ianyoung/

    • CKirks@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 4, 1999
        In a message dated 3/3/99 11:11:30 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        algen@... writes:

        << I think that inflatable tubes and single surface still loom large on the
        list of necessary characteristics. >>

        Your "single surface" reminded me that while I was flying my loaner Wipika 3.5
        the other day, a fellow board sailor mentioned that it should improve the
        aerodynamics to simply add a short lower surface near the leading edge like
        some sailboard sails have (wide luff sleeve on race sails). In other words,
        streamline the leading edge tube with a piece of cloth from it's lower side to
        the kite body about a foot back or so.

        Tom
        Captain Kirk's

      • Alex Gillan
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 4, 1999
          Yea ... I thought the same

          Alex Gillan

        • CKirks@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 8, 1999
            henning.carstens@... writes:

            << Which design has to be pushed? Kiteboard or Kite- Please select one by
            going to the following Web form: http://www.egroups.com/vote?id=920461459736

            Well, I decided to finally register my vote for "BOARD" (now that my
            speed/upwind-on-fin suspicions have been confirmed by srosso@...) but
            could not get the full form at the above address.

            Tom
            Captain Kirk's

          • F.ONE
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 9, 1999
              Hi your guys ,
              I'm just back from the kitesurfing event in Cabo Verde .
              The event will run one more week but I could not stay so long , too much
              work !

              Flash was sick in bed for all the week so he could not sail , too bad !

              We did some long distance races with down wind and up wind .
              And it was a good experience to test all kind of combination .
              I could see that the board is really important as a point where a guy with a
              really good parafoil wing could finish behind a Wipika if is using the wrong
              board !
              Also between the racers using the same Wipika they where big differences in
              the results , depending the board they use .

              As I'm today one of the only one to shape my boards and co-design my kite ,
              I will say that the kite is really important because this is the engine but
              what is a good engine without a good board ?
              We had the same discution in windsurfing and I will say that boards should
              be abble to follow the performances of the rig .

              So boards are as important as the kites and only the perfect combination
              will give you the best result .

              We can use the same kite for different activity but with different boards :
              surfboard type , wakeboard , longboard , water ski , snowboard , buggy
              Today we have to work on all these differents way to use the power of a kite
              on the water , sand or snow .
              So we a lot of work on the boards .

              See you on water
              Raphaël Salles

            • Michel Montmigny
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 9, 1999

              • stefano.rosso@iname.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 9, 1999
                  > So boards are as important as the kites and only the perfect combination
                  > will give you the best result .
                  >
                  > We can use the same kite for different activity but with different boards :
                  > surfboard type , wakeboard , longboard , water ski , snowboard , buggy
                  > Today we have to work on all these differents way to use the power of a kite
                  > on the water , sand or snow .
                  > So we a lot of work on the boards .
                  >
                  > See you on water
                  > Rapha�l Salles

                  Hello Raphael,

                  Please let us know more about the event when it ends...and maybe pictures !!

                  I agree with your comments... a wipika with a GOOD board can go upwind better than a higher upwind kite on a bad board...

                  Please tell us more about what boards and kites where being used !

                  Stefano

                • Kukanii@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 9, 1999
                    Hi Raphiel

                    Good to here from you cant wate to get on the water .
                    Verry interesting what you are saying about the boards ?
                    Hopr to see you next week.

                    Darron

                  • F.ONE
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 9, 1999
                      >Please tell us more about what boards and kites where being used !
                      >
                      >Stefano

                      Hi Stephano ,
                      For kites : Wipika , Concept Air and F.one where present .
                      For boards : Wipika protoypes , MGO , Manu Bertin prototypes , F.one .

                      We where only 8 racers and 2 or 3 where sick in bed so we could not make any
                      wave event .

                      We did 2 long distances with down and up wind :
                      I was first in the 2 long distances by far , my time was 20 mm and second
                      place was 30 mm .
                      I use my new 212 prototype in waves and long distance .

                      See you on water
                      Raphaël Salles

                    • srosso@bunge.com.br
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 9, 1999
                        I use my new 212 prototype in waves and long distance .

                        Raphael

                        What kites size were used and what wind conditions were there ?? Will
                        there be pictures ? Video ?

                      • F.ONE
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 10, 1999
                          >What kites size were used and what wind conditions were there ?? Will
                          >there be pictures ? Video ?

                          Hi ,
                          Condition where 25 knots with 1.5 to 2 m waves and then dropping the last
                          days to 10 to 15 knots .
                          I use my 5.0 m² and my 6.5m² .
                          Depending on weight of racers 3.5m² to 8.5m² wipika and 3.3m² to 6m² Concept
                          Air where used .

                          My board and kite combination allow me to have a much bigger wind range ,
                          where I use 2 sizes other racers need 3 different surfaces .

                          The first goal of this was to make pictures and video so we had one
                          photografer and 3 cameras . a special video will be made on this event .

                          See you on water
                          Raphaël Salles

                        • Ian Young
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 10, 1999
                            G'day Raphael,

                            >We did some long distance races with down wind and up wind .
                            What distances?

                            >I could see that the board is really important as a point where a guy

                            with a
                            >really good parafoil wing could finish behind a Wipika if is using the
                            wrong
                            >board !

                            Give us some specifics.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 10, 1999

                              G'day Ian ,
                              What distances?
                              We count it in time , I do not know the exact distance , my time was 20mm but was 40 mm for the last racer and we where only 6 racers . This will be the problem if we want to do some long distance races , specialy with upwind . Down wind the differences where smaller .
                              About boards , they where big differences with the boards . It was easy to see because racers where changing boards in each races . Also in between the Wipika racers using different boards , result where differents .
                              I think that racing is also experience and not only equipment .
                              See you on water
                              Raphaël Salles