[ksurf] Re: RSVP: Kite or Board

  • Debra Smith and Paul Watson
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 3, 1999
      >> Which design has to be pushed?
      >> Kiteboard or Kite

      Although I have voted for boards, I only think that this is a short term
      priority. I think that we should work out whether we might be able to sail
      upwind on fins rather than rails (i.e. is this a question of board design or
      the mechanics of surfing with a kite?). In the longer term we need to work
      on kites in order to achieve consistent water relaunching a la windsurfing.
      Although the Wipika works very well, one kite does not a sport make! We will
      need to adequately assess the quad versus dual line issue as well as the
      winch versus auto relaunch issue. Who knows what may come in terms of
      development? One thing is for sure, parafoils are a short term option.
      Although I am considering making a "water relaunchable" version of one of my
      stable of personal parafoil designs, I think that this will not be anything
      other than a short term answer (although I think we can still improve
      parafoils a few degrees). I think that inflatable tubes and single surface
      still loom large on the list of necessary characteristics.

      Smooth Winds,

      Paul

    • Ian Young
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 4, 1999

        Which design has to be pushed?
        Kiteboard or Kite

        ----

        Please select one of the following:

           o Kiteboard
           o Kite
        I believe that we will see significant developments in both, however I believe that the kite systems (including control bar/ 2vs 4 line, etc) have far more room for improvement in the following areas:
        • re-launchability from the water
        • ease of control/ stability when no pilot input
        • rapid turning response with pilot input
        • safety/ ease of unassisted take-off and landings on the beach
        • ability for variable de-power ie 100% - 75% - 50% - 25%
        Cheers for now,
        Ian

        WinDesigns Australia - Australia's first Kite Ski&Surfing School
        9 Oliver St, Scarborough, WA, AUSTRALIA, 6019
        Phone/Fax:    +61 8 9245 4657
        Mobile:       0414 716 812
        Email:        IanYoung@...
        Webpage:      http://www.iinet.net.au/~ianyoung/

      • CKirks@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 4, 1999
          In a message dated 3/3/99 11:11:30 PM Pacific Standard Time,
          algen@... writes:

          << I think that inflatable tubes and single surface still loom large on the
          list of necessary characteristics. >>

          Your "single surface" reminded me that while I was flying my loaner Wipika 3.5
          the other day, a fellow board sailor mentioned that it should improve the
          aerodynamics to simply add a short lower surface near the leading edge like
          some sailboard sails have (wide luff sleeve on race sails). In other words,
          streamline the leading edge tube with a piece of cloth from it's lower side to
          the kite body about a foot back or so.

          Tom
          Captain Kirk's

        • Alex Gillan
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 4, 1999
            Yea ... I thought the same

            Alex Gillan

          • CKirks@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 8, 1999
              henning.carstens@... writes:

              << Which design has to be pushed? Kiteboard or Kite- Please select one by
              going to the following Web form: http://www.egroups.com/vote?id=920461459736

              Well, I decided to finally register my vote for "BOARD" (now that my
              speed/upwind-on-fin suspicions have been confirmed by srosso@...) but
              could not get the full form at the above address.

              Tom
              Captain Kirk's

            • F.ONE
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 9, 1999
                Hi your guys ,
                I'm just back from the kitesurfing event in Cabo Verde .
                The event will run one more week but I could not stay so long , too much
                work !

                Flash was sick in bed for all the week so he could not sail , too bad !

                We did some long distance races with down wind and up wind .
                And it was a good experience to test all kind of combination .
                I could see that the board is really important as a point where a guy with a
                really good parafoil wing could finish behind a Wipika if is using the wrong
                board !
                Also between the racers using the same Wipika they where big differences in
                the results , depending the board they use .

                As I'm today one of the only one to shape my boards and co-design my kite ,
                I will say that the kite is really important because this is the engine but
                what is a good engine without a good board ?
                We had the same discution in windsurfing and I will say that boards should
                be abble to follow the performances of the rig .

                So boards are as important as the kites and only the perfect combination
                will give you the best result .

                We can use the same kite for different activity but with different boards :
                surfboard type , wakeboard , longboard , water ski , snowboard , buggy
                Today we have to work on all these differents way to use the power of a kite
                on the water , sand or snow .
                So we a lot of work on the boards .

                See you on water
                Raphaël Salles

              • Michel Montmigny
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 9, 1999

                • stefano.rosso@iname.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 9, 1999
                    > So boards are as important as the kites and only the perfect combination
                    > will give you the best result .
                    >
                    > We can use the same kite for different activity but with different boards :
                    > surfboard type , wakeboard , longboard , water ski , snowboard , buggy
                    > Today we have to work on all these differents way to use the power of a kite
                    > on the water , sand or snow .
                    > So we a lot of work on the boards .
                    >
                    > See you on water
                    > Rapha�l Salles

                    Hello Raphael,

                    Please let us know more about the event when it ends...and maybe pictures !!

                    I agree with your comments... a wipika with a GOOD board can go upwind better than a higher upwind kite on a bad board...

                    Please tell us more about what boards and kites where being used !

                    Stefano

                  • Kukanii@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 9, 1999
                      Hi Raphiel

                      Good to here from you cant wate to get on the water .
                      Verry interesting what you are saying about the boards ?
                      Hopr to see you next week.

                      Darron

                    • F.ONE
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 9, 1999
                        >Please tell us more about what boards and kites where being used !
                        >
                        >Stefano

                        Hi Stephano ,
                        For kites : Wipika , Concept Air and F.one where present .
                        For boards : Wipika protoypes , MGO , Manu Bertin prototypes , F.one .

                        We where only 8 racers and 2 or 3 where sick in bed so we could not make any
                        wave event .

                        We did 2 long distances with down and up wind :
                        I was first in the 2 long distances by far , my time was 20 mm and second
                        place was 30 mm .
                        I use my new 212 prototype in waves and long distance .

                        See you on water
                        Raphaël Salles

                      • srosso@bunge.com.br
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 9, 1999
                          I use my new 212 prototype in waves and long distance .

                          Raphael

                          What kites size were used and what wind conditions were there ?? Will
                          there be pictures ? Video ?

                        • F.ONE
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 10, 1999
                            >What kites size were used and what wind conditions were there ?? Will
                            >there be pictures ? Video ?

                            Hi ,
                            Condition where 25 knots with 1.5 to 2 m waves and then dropping the last
                            days to 10 to 15 knots .
                            I use my 5.0 m² and my 6.5m² .
                            Depending on weight of racers 3.5m² to 8.5m² wipika and 3.3m² to 6m² Concept
                            Air where used .

                            My board and kite combination allow me to have a much bigger wind range ,
                            where I use 2 sizes other racers need 3 different surfaces .

                            The first goal of this was to make pictures and video so we had one
                            photografer and 3 cameras . a special video will be made on this event .

                            See you on water
                            Raphaël Salles

                          • Ian Young
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 10, 1999
                              G'day Raphael,

                              >We did some long distance races with down wind and up wind .
                              What distances?

                              >I could see that the board is really important as a point where a guy

                              with a
                              >really good parafoil wing could finish behind a Wipika if is using the
                              wrong
                              >board !

                              Give us some specifics.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 10, 1999

                                G'day Ian ,
                                What distances?
                                We count it in time , I do not know the exact distance , my time was 20mm but was 40 mm for the last racer and we where only 6 racers . This will be the problem if we want to do some long distance races , specialy with upwind . Down wind the differences where smaller .
                                About boards , they where big differences with the boards . It was easy to see because racers where changing boards in each races . Also in between the Wipika racers using different boards , result where differents .
                                I think that racing is also experience and not only equipment .
                                See you on water
                                Raphaël Salles