[ksurf] boardsize

  • Axel Schmidt
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 27, 1998
      after all the talk i'm still not sure     my choice is that i can use a surfboard but it might not let me go upwind very well   it's 6' 6  so reasonably short for your terms      my weight is 90 kg   is it possible for a beginner to get up on or not?maybe i'm better of to get an old windsurfer board for a couple of months till i get used to it

      List Site: http://www.findmail.com/list/kitesurf/

    • Luka Baranovic
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 3, 1998
        Axel,
        You will not have any problems getting on a small board because the
        techinque is diffrent from windsurfing. I mean while you are holding the
        kite in the air you put BOTH of your feet in the footstraps. That is
        easier to do on smaller board, trust me. Then you dive the kite and by
        pushing the board against the water you get on the board without any
        trouble. Staying ON the board is totally diffrent thing which takes time
        to learn even on big board!
        Bye!

        Luka

        P.S. By the way the big board is transformed windsurf board and small one
        is kitesurf design!

      • Thomas David
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3, 1998
          Hi all.
          I finaly have my mail account!
          tdavid@... is the permanent one.

          > You will not have any problems getting on a small board because the
          > techinque is diffrent from windsurfing. I mean while you are holding the
          > kite in the air you put BOTH of your feet in the footstraps. That is
          > easier to do on smaller board, trust me. Then you dive the kite and by
          > pushing the board against the water you get on the board without any
          > trouble. Staying ON the board is totally diffrent thing which takes time
          > to learn even on big board!
          > Bye!
          So, listening to you, the shorter the board, the better.
          I have an old surfboard (6.6'). Could it be easily reinforced and straped? Has
          anybody tried to do the same?

          TOMS
          E-Mail: Thomas David <thoms@...>
          Date: 03-Sep-98 / Time: 09:57:00

          Mandala International
          http://www.mandalux.com

        • Stefano Rosso
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 3, 1998
            > So, listening to you, the shorter the board, the better.
            > I have an old surfboard (6.6'). Could it be easily reinforced and straped? Has
            > anybody tried to do the same?
            >
            > TOMS
            > --------------------------------

            I just got an old 6,8 board and put some straps on it... i am going to try it this weekend...

            I think it will be crap because the edges are not very thin but it is very light so i want to see if weight makes any difference.

            -----
            Original Message: http://www.findmail.com/list/kitesurf/?start=171
            Start a FREE email list at http://www.FindMail.com/

          • O1withwind@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 3, 1998
              >So, listening to you, the shorter the board, the better.
              >I have an old surfboard (6.6'). Could it be easily reinforced and straped?
              Has
              >anybody tried to do the same?

              >TOMS

              Tom,
              I use a 6'5" surfboard with sandals from a wakeboard added. I mounted the
              thread fittings from an old wakeboard into it with fiberglass resin and the
              foot straps are removeable in case I want to surf. This works ok if you're
              not doing big jumps.
              PEACE&WIND
              Josh Young

            • Luka Baranovic
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 3, 1998
                Guys please use the metric system!!!! Please, we normal people are lost!!!
                I have to check the books with tables all the time!!
                Luka!

                About the old windsurf board..... don't expect much. After you get on the
                board there is no much direction control!!! Be careful!!!!

              • Thomas David
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 4, 1998
                  On 03-Sep-98 Luka Baranovic wrote:
                  > Guys please use the metric system!!!! Please, we normal people are lost!!!
                  > I have to check the books with tables all the time!!
                  > Luka!
                  I am sorry it brothers you... ;)
                  The inch is usually used for surf lenght...
                  TOMS
                  E-Mail: Thomas David <thoms@...>
                  Date: 04-Sep-98 / Time: 09:13:19

                  Mandala International